humm and buzz - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2015, 03:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default humm and buzz

i plug in the preamp to the transistor power amp and it is quite as a mouse but if i plug it into the st70 it humms and buzzes like a hive of angry bees.

any recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: png 6cga preamp -2.png (82.5 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by chopchip; 1st November 2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: schematic
Old 1st November 2015, 04:13 PM   #2
kaputt is offline kaputt  Germany
diyAudio Member

Check the connection of signal ground to PE in the transistor amp and the ST70. Is there a difference?
Old 1st November 2015, 04:35 PM   #3
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchip View Post
if i plug it into the st70 it humms and buzzes like a hive of angry bees.
It could be poorly fitting RCA plugs on the Stereo 70 sockets. Try another pair of cables.
Old 1st November 2015, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If power amp is on the full volume like end stage, You have make very good filtering CLCLC for tube pre stage.....Your pre amp is two stages. And You have too much gain, one prestage is enough. Every micro noise will be like monster bzzzz and hmmmm.
If You plug to the audio input, the effect is almost the same.
Tube prestage is for SS end stages, and Your amp needs only one stage pre tubeamp, or two stages with cathode fallover stage.
Projects: OTL-OCL 6AS7 Gen. Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, E84L Siemens, E236L Telefunken, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA,... PPs 6005 Gen. Electric, EL34 Mullard, 6L6....

Last edited by azazello; 1st November 2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 1st November 2015, 05:31 PM   #5
tomchr is online now tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

The loose RCA connectors sound like a winner to me.

If the power amp is quiet with the inputs shorted and the preamp's output is free of hum when it's on its own, it could also be that you have a ground loop from the mains ground through preamp, power amp, and back to the mains ground. You can test this hypothesis by TEMPORARILY converting one of the 3-prong mains plugs into a 2-prong, buy lifting the ground connection. If this solves the hum/buzz issue, I suggest looking at ground loop breakers - or better yet changing the circuit to move the ground loop out of the signal path.

Tom
Old 2nd November 2015, 01:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
The loose RCA connectors sound like a winner to me.
If this solves the hum/buzz issue, I suggest looking at ground loop breakers - or better yet changing the circuit to move the ground loop out of the signal path.

Tom
would an isolation transformer solve this problem? i have one but it is has a ground on its secondary. you think i should disconnect it?
Old 2nd November 2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Koonw is offline Koonw  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
would an isolation transformer solve this problem? i have one but it is has a ground on its secondary. you think i should disconnect it?
You should determine where ground loop first so you apply ground lift in that problem areas:

1) in common earth ground loop simply by temporary disconnecting the earth from either preamp or amp side. If so a isolation transformer can be used to break the ground loop.

2) in RCA cable screen ground, any hum if only plug in one cable? If so, you'll need a ground lift of 10 ohms resistor on screen signal ground and ground on both input, see attached
Attached Images
File Type: png 6n1p preamp ground lift.png (103.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 2nd November 2015, 04:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Check the connection of signal ground to PE in the transistor amp and the ST70. Is there a difference?
what is "PE"?

thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 05:08 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

PE = Protective Earth.
The third wire in your mains cable that gets permanently and mechanically fixed direct to the Chassis.
It's there to save the lives of any operators.
Old 2nd November 2015, 05:26 PM   #10
tomchr is online now tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Depends on the kind of isolation transformer. If it's a line-level isolation transformer that you can insert in the signal path between the preamp and the power amp, then it will help. A mains isolation transformer, so 120:120 or 230:230 V, probably won't do much.

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!