power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2015, 02:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default power supply

Can someone help to review the power schematic. I built this schematic and every time I turn power on the fuse is blown.
Thanks, For your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0553.JPG (61.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 29th September 2015, 03:00 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Lugnut, how about either linking us the data sheet for the transformer or at least telling us which model it is.

Calpoly, good internet form would be to start a new thread for your question, since it really does not relate to the problem Lugnut is having and we are discussing here. perhaps there you could explain the idea behind the design. As to troubleshooting, does it blow fuses with the rectifiers removed. How about with the rectifiers installed but the triodes removed.
Old 29th September 2015, 03:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpoly1998 View Post
Can someone help to review the power schematic. I built this schematic and every time I turn power on the fuse is blown.
Thanks, For your help
The 6AX4s are shorting out the 220V windings. Assuming that's what they are, indirectly heated cathodes. (hard to tell from small pix) With the center tap grounded as well as the anodes, it's as if the the 6AX4 diodes are directly across the 220Vs.

And yes you should start a new thread!

Last edited by HollowState; 29th September 2015 at 03:17 AM.
Old 29th September 2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Mona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_055.jpg (37.7 KB, 172 views)
Old 29th September 2015, 03:01 PM   #5
coils is offline coils  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
866a's have a 2.5 volt filament cathode, not 5volt, use half of that transformer if it can provide 10 amps and run the rail right off of the cathode. Also there are caveats regarding burn in after shipment/storage, and preheat beforre plate volts is applied.
Old 29th September 2015, 03:03 PM   #6
coils is offline coils  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, float the ground on the power transformer center tap, you cant use that with the greatz bridge.
Old 29th September 2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coils View Post
Also, float the ground on the power transformer center tap, you cant use that with the greatz bridge.
Yes you can.Gives half the voltage at the top.Very usefull for the screen grid of power tubes.More economical (and less heat) then series resistances and evt. stabilisation or big chemicals to get low impedance drive and lower voltage.
Mona
Old 30th September 2015, 10:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply

Thank you for your all input. I update schematic to disconnect ground from high voltage transformer.
Attached Files
File Type: asc Power supply.asc (4.1 KB, 29 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!