• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Nuvistor heater current inrush question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have six 7586 Nuvistor tubes, arranged in three pairs so that the heaters in each pair are in series, and each pair is paralleled across the heater supply, 12 VDC from a Eurorack system for modular synths, rated at 1000mA maximum.

Using a 12VDC bench supply, I measured the current draw of the heaters from turn on to quiescent running. At quiescent running the aggregate current draw from all tubes is around 450mA, which will be fine.

However, on turn on, the current jumps to over 1000mA, for a fraction of second, before falling down to the 450mA value.

I'm worried that this may damage the Eurorack PSU, and wonder whether I should add some sort of current limiter in series with the 12VDC supply to the heaters.

The PSU is this one: http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/uzeusps.pdf which itself is powered from a 15V 1000mA wall wart.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.