• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bogen MO-100 increase PS capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I finish recapping my Bogens MO-100. They sound fine, but I was thinking of increasing the size of the 2 capacitors off the GZ-34/5AR4. Stock there are two 30uF/500V caps off the dual rectifier, which gives me 15uF on B+ (see schematic = View attachment hfe_bogen_mo-100_schematic.pdf ). How high can I safely go without compromising the GZ-34? Is it worth doing - will I see an improvement on the lower end?

Thanks
Elias

At that voltage, I wouldn't increase the input cap. PSUD simulation says 1.4A peak repetitive current if the peak load is 300 mA. That's pushing the 5AR4 rating (assuming they share equally...)

The cap on V2-7 is suspiciously low - .01 uF? I'd use at least .1, though they may have been trying to limit the low-frequency response (the step network that precedes it is also a high-pass, for low-frequency stability.)

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep the cap as is. The amp has a very faint hum, barely audible. I did add a 3-wire power cord and connected the ground wire to a ground point different from the common PS caps ground. Could this cause the hum?

Thanks
Elias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.