• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yet another Aikido? NOVAL vs OCTAL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I just finished a Tubelab TSE with 300B (Tubelab SE | Tubelab)

The actual preamp is a Pete Millett low-mu preamp running with a 6H13C (6SN7 russian clone) (Low-mu preamp)

The speakers are Cornu (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...k-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html) with Jordan Eikona drivers.

And around the house have another two or three projects done (like "Lo Scherzo" amp).

I'm realizing I've always been doing one amp - one preamp alternatively, so now would be time for a new preamp.....

Thinking of an Aikido, seem a very nice preamp, fairly open with lots of possibilities...

But I'm stuck between octal and noval : which one should decide, and why?

I don't need much gain so this is not the point, my questions are more of the type :

- are noval more prone to microphonics than octal (or reverse)?
- may have more hum problem with one of the solutions?
- is there a good experience about sound quality comparing the two?

If I'm correct 6CG7 should be the noval equivalent of 6SN7 so that shouldn´t be a problem, and don't think I'm going to change tubes a lot.

Any suggestions?
I've looked around and haven't found a clear answer, seem as there is the "Noval Clan" vs the "Octal Clan".

Any help will be warmly welcome as I'm really unable to decide on this philosophical question.

Thanks a lot

Why do you think there could be a difference?

That’s exactly what I’m asking : understand if there is a real difference between octal and noval or it’s more of a sense of aesthetic, or a feeling or something equally subjective.

It’s equally possible that topology should be taken in count as a strong actor in the quality of the sound, so I’m back with the first question :

Are there any criteria to decide between octal and noval in a new preamp?

Thanks

Thanks all for answering and giving me possibility to think : confronting ideas, debating, listening to other's opinions is always important and rewarding, so after reading and thinking this is what I'm going to do :

given that I already have a 6SN7 preamp and am not totally convinced about octal......will go and build one LV Aikido, a low voltage one, using 6S27P tubes, they work with only 24V !!!!

A nice experiment, and if works will have the perfect gift for a first preamp for my daughter :)
If not, these tubes are relatively cheap and all experience is good.

So thanks all, will give info as the project go on.....

Giuseppe,

Are the 6S27P tubes the Russian equivalent of the ECC86?

I've built an Aikido LV and an Aikido 12Vac using ECC86 tubes (I lowered the voltage to about 55 volts B+).

All the ECC86s I've seen were made in western Europe and though a bit pricey now might still be worth tracking down.

My tube rolling experience with ECC86s listed by factory of manufacture:

Valvo Hamburg A-frames with pizza pan getter: Kind of rock 'em sock 'em with full bass and treble extension, very dynamic but not harsh at all. Good for livening up a polite system.

Valvo Hamburg ring getter with shield: A toned-down version of the A-frame, nice balanced tube, good dynamics.

Telefunken: Nice mids but a bit rolled off on the highs and lows. Dynamically a bit soft

Philips Heerlen: Even more rolled of at the frequency extremes than the Tele, not very dynamic at all.

All the best, Cheers, steve

Giuseppe,

I have some gear I've bought with Russian tubes and they sound great. I've always found that with my home made projects the Russian small signal tubes don't make the grade. Not to pick on the Russians, I've had some ghastly sounding US made tubes as well. What I'm saying is that when you get your project working and if you like it, it might be worthwhile tracking down some European made ECC86 tubes. There should be some tube dealers in western Europe that have some.

Steve

For those that want to try using some 8 pin valves in a 9 pin socket, (and 9 pin in 8 socket too) there are quite a few converter plugs that are made specifically for differently configured valves so this expands the list of options - quite a few of the 8 <-> 9 pin valves have similar characteristics and don't require a change in circuit component values, or initially anyway.

For those that want to try using some 8 pin valves in a 9 pin socket, (and 9 pin in 8 socket too) there are quite a few converter plugs that are made specifically for differently configured valves so this expands the list of options - quite a few of the 8 <-> 9 pin valves have similar characteristics and don't require a change in circuit component values, or initially anyway.

Hi jameshillj that's quite interesting but at my level of knowledge is kind of generic.
Could you please elaborate the concept and give some example?
Are you saying that there are 8 pin low voltage tubes that could be used with this project (Aikido LV)?

Many thanks and regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.