• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Do we need this input resistor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
attached

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 252
Is it for bias tube safety if the pot will lose the connection?
Yes.

But if I delete, will the pot scratch?
Yes, eventually.

It is 1Mohm so will inject a lot of thermal noise.
No, it is in shunt with the signal, not in series with it. The bigger the shunt resistor, the less the attenuation, and the lower the thermal noise contribution. 1Meg is good.

If there is already the 100k pot to bias the tube, why to include the resistor?
Is it for bias tube safety if the pot will loose the connection?
But if I delete, will the pot scratch?

It is 1Mohm so will inject a lot of thermal noise.

In this case, it's simply a guard resistor in case the wiper lifts inside the pot. Even better would be to use a 100K linear pot and make the resistor 16K8. That gives a log response, and linear pots don't have the problems that seem to plague log pots.

...................No, it is in shunt with the signal, not in series with it. The bigger the shunt resistor, the less the attenuation, and the lower the thermal noise contribution. 1Meg is good.
..............1M is good. Don't make it smaller. You could make it slightly bigger.
I habitually use 2M2 as the grounding resistor at the inputs of solid state gear.

I have a valve/tube preamp and the manufacturer recommended removing the 1M grounding resistor located before the DC blocking cap to leave just the grounding resistor in the Source. They claimed the slightly higher impedance at the input improved performance.

It seems that very high input impedance can be an advantage, if the Source to Receiver interconnect is actually connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.