When to use artificial center tap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2015, 01:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default When to use artificial center tap

Hi peeps my power tranny blew a little while ago I got a new one wound
With no winding centre taps as I was installing it with artificial centre taps on the pre and power tubes I put one on the rectifier tube filiment but thought I'd better ask if this is possible before I power up I'm not keen to let the smoke out of anything else
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (631.3 KB, 368 views)
Old 25th August 2015, 01:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default On iPad trying to get pic the right way round

To be clear my old tranny had winding centre taps but my new one doesn't any advice on this matter would be great thancs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (668.2 KB, 362 views)
Old 25th August 2015, 03:10 PM   #3
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlagger View Post
To be clear my old tranny had winding centre taps but my new one doesn't any advice on this matter would be great thancs
The schematic contains some (dangerous) mistakes.
The rectifier heater pins (2 and 8) voltage is about +400V! If you put between this points and the negative point 100R resistors, the resistor's current will be 4A!

Try hibrid rectifier.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 5R4 rectifier PSU.gif (6.5 KB, 341 views)
Old 25th August 2015, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlagger View Post
Hi peeps my power tranny blew a little while ago I got a new one wound
With no winding centre taps as I was installing it with artificial centre taps on the pre and power tubes I put one on the rectifier tube filiment but thought I'd better ask if this is possible before I power up I'm not keen to let the smoke out of anything else
Don't put these resistors on the rectifiers heater! The heater caries the HT.
If the original tranny had a CT, it was the HT output in the case of directly heated rectifiers (5U4, 5Y3,...).
In your drawing you show an indirectly heated type (GZ34/5AR4, GZ32,...). In that case take the HT from pin 8, which is the cathode.
Old 26th August 2015, 02:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Yer I thought it wasn't correct

So I've redrawn it with the two resistors in series am in the right path now. Will the resistor values work for this design,is all for the reduction of hum ? Or not needed at all ? Or is there another way? Ps Thanks for the responses .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (524.5 KB, 327 views)
Old 26th August 2015, 08:05 AM   #6
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

5U4-GB filament (from Genereal Electric datasheet): 5V, 3A.
Don't use 0.27R dropping resistors, else your filament voltage will be only 3.38V!

" old tranny had winding centre taps but my new one doesn't"
Your last schematic contains CT trapped transformer. If you have this, this part of schematic is correct.
If you have transformer with 320V (no centre tap), use hibrid (two SS diode and rectifier tube) rectifier scheme.
Old 26th August 2015, 11:48 AM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Can we go back to the fundamental points?
1. Octal base rectifiers usually have a connection between the cathode and the heater (even when indirectly heated) so the heater supply must be independent and not connected to anything else - especially ground! In most cases a 5V supply is needed.
2. Other indirectly heated rectifiers may share a heater supply with the rest of the circuit - in most cases a 6.3V supply is needed. It does no harm to provide a heater supply centre tap, but the rectifiers don't need this. All heater supplies must have a DC reference voltage (which may be ground) which can be connected to one side or a centre-tap.
Old 27th August 2015, 03:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Sorry to confirm my 5v 3a filament winding had the centre tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
5U4-GB filament (from Genereal Electric datasheet): 5V, 3A.
Don't use 0.27R dropping resistors, else your filament voltage will be only 3.38V!

" old tranny had winding centre taps but my new one doesn't"
Your last schematic contains CT trapped transformer. If you have this, this part of schematic is correct.
If you have transformer with 320V (no centre tap), use hibrid (two SS diode and rectifier tube) rectifier scheme.
Old 27th August 2015, 03:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks I think you've answered my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Can we go back to the fundamental points?
1. Octal base rectifiers usually have a connection between the cathode and the heater (even when indirectly heated) so the heater supply must be independent and not connected to anything else - especially ground! In most cases a 5V supply is needed.
2. Other indirectly heated rectifiers may share a heater supply with the rest of the circuit - in most cases a 6.3V supply is needed. It does no harm to provide a heater supply centre tap, but the rectifiers don't need this. All heater supplies must have a DC reference voltage (which may be ground) which can be connected to one side or a centre-tap.
I've put an artificial centre tap on all my other tubes but just wire the 5v winding straight to the rectifier tube no need to do anything else
Old 27th August 2015, 03:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

No need to worrie about hum on the rectifier tube

Hide this!Advertise here!