• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke Load or WOT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to modify my 12B4A preamp just for experiment (may be i found a bit increase... :)

but i quite confuse between change the resistor load to Choke Load or just using the Output transformer...

Does anybody use tried these method before...?

Thanks for sharing the information

rgds

Ferry

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What you have now is a resistively loaded anode follower, cap coupled.

If the anode resistor is replaced by a choke you'll have to lower B+ to maintain the same operating points and you'll still have cap couple the output.

With an SE OPT you'll have the choke load, no more cap and the possibility to lower the output impedance. Moreover you'll also benefit from the ground isolation the xformer offers.

Cheers,;)

OK This is the schematic...
I used 12K as Anode load...
500Ohm and 360uF on Cathode...

Can anybody help me... how to determine the choke value or OT ratio...

Can i just measure DC resistance to calculate the B+?

rgds

Ferry

Attachments

• 12b4a diy paradise.jpg
    12b4a diy paradise.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 473
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Can anybody help me... how to determine the choke value or OT ratio...

A good audio quality choke of say 75-100+ H would do the trick.

Can i just measure DC resistance to calculate the B+?

You can, as it is the late of the 12B4A sits at 90VDC so you calculate the voltage drop through the choke and add that to the B+.

Same procedure for the SE OPT.

Hope this helps,;)

then why not go for the best?

One word: money.

It was just a suggestion. I guess Hammonds cost something like 1/10 of the prize for a pair of Baccoluchi (sp?).
If money isn´t a problem there´s absolutely no reason to use Hammonds instead of "proper" platechokes, but I guess I´m not the only one that thinks twice about paying ~300 bucks for a pair of chokes.

We can always take a deeper look into our goals here. Is it to build the best linestage in the world or is it about having some fun with our hobby and build something cool and maybe learn something during the time?

I don´t know and honestly I don´t care either, I just wanted to make a suggestion about chokes that might be used.
And, as some might have noticed, I can´t stay away when chokes are being discussed:)

BTW: I don´t mean to sound aggresive here.

My preamp is from MCcaps i just took from http://www.diyparadise.com/12B4pre.html
It's sound good... but heard that people modified this amp in to choke load. since i don't have knowledge about choke load... then i ask you guys for help....

and i knew that there's someone who can help me.... :)

well.....thanks guys... i'll try using 100H choke... and lowering B+ based on DCR of choke itself....

Thanks all.....

Hi Ferry

If you use the 100H choke ( insted of 12k res) , you can safely avoid the cathode capacitor with little loss of gain (.7 db
if the load is 50k).

So you avoid a problematic component
(360u cap are not transparent as 1u polyprop caps.)

gain (db) with 50k load ( paralleled with 470k):

.......................with cap.................without cap

res ............... 6.2(15.9)...................4.5(13.1)

choke............. 6.7(16.5)..................6.17(15.8)

bye

Federico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.