Eico ST40 Kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2015, 02:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Eico ST40 Kit

I'm about to pick up a NIB Eico ST40 Kit. I've not built an amp or any electronics before (did build some speakers and work on cars and have some mechanical sense) but it does not look too daunting with the right tools. I know about the loudness mod. I would welcome recommendations for capacitor replacement and other suggestions on the build.

Thanks,

Wilson
Old 29th August 2015, 04:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd hate to build a new in box kit, the value is gonna drop from about $800 to $400 once you build it. Can't be more than a handful of unbuilt Dynaco, Heath, and Eiko amps left.
Old 29th August 2015, 05:09 PM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvonkessler View Post
I'm about to pick up a NIB Eico ST40 Kit. I've not built an amp or any electronics before (did build some speakers
and work on cars and have some mechanical sense) but it does not look too daunting with the right tools. I know
about the loudness mod. I would welcome recommendations for capacitor replacement and other suggestions on the build.
You should really sell this to a collector who would treat it with due respect, and be able to assemble it with skill,
if he so desires. It may not even work well with your present system.
Old 29th August 2015, 05:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

So, if I have an ST40 amp Kit and an ST96 tuner kit both NIB (literally unopened other than the main box, with original tubes, etc), what is the open market value and how do I sell to a collector? Is it really that rare? Is there really a collector market for it? I'm not sold on the kit, but want to have a nice tube amp like an ST40 or ST70, Dynaco ST35, ST70, etc. In the day I had an H/K A300, and would like to find an A500 or A700.
Old 29th August 2015, 05:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Wilson
If the kit has the original 7591s and all the mullard tubes it came with,those will bring good money by themselves.As of late,many Heathkits and Eicos in unassembled kits are not bringing the money they once were.Part of that could be because you have places like Bob Latino selling top quality kits based on a much improved original design and it sort of veers people away from paying big money for low powered kits of yesteryear.
If you have all the original tubes including the GZ34,I would sell them and buy some modern replacements and use that money to build this amp into something you want.
You will have a clean sheet to start with and I would not use the existing filter caps as they are no doubt dried up due to 50yo shelf life. Use 63/37 tin solder to avoid cold solder joints and you can even use the original black cat coupling caps as those sound fantastic. That is a very easy amp to build because you have tons of space to due little upgrades.

Last edited by michaelsamra; 29th August 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvonkessler View Post
So, if I have an ST40 amp Kit and an ST96 tuner kit both NIB (literally unopened other than the main box, with original tubes, etc), what is the open market value and how do I sell to a collector? Is it really that rare? Is there really a collector market for it? I'm not sold on the kit, but want to have a nice tube amp like an ST40 or ST70, Dynaco ST35, ST70, etc. In the day I had an H/K A300, and would like to find an A500 or A700.
Yes, unbuilt N.O.S kits (mainly tube based) are very rare and there is definitely a collector market for them. There's no open market value but they usually sells for 3 to 10 times the price of the same assembled kit in good condition. Also, EICO kits were produced in much smaller quantities than HEATHKIT which makes them even rarer in unassembled form. Of course, to get the highest price the kits must be complete, untouched and with all the original documents (assembly manual,etc...). I would not build them, not even unpack the small boxes and bags,and sell them to a collector who will keep them unassembled in their boxes for the next decades. With the profit you may buy a nice (assembled) tube amp. To reach the collectors and get top $$$'s there's only one way: the well-know auction site.

Hide this!Advertise here!