• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

For Info: We91 Fans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

with the 310A driver, does it improve?

It does, the penthode DHT recipe was well known by the WECO engineers of yesteryore.

Bas,

It was very scarce and went "La Maison De L'Audiophile" released the cicrcuit diagrams prices went through the roof. 500 to 800 USD for an original WE was not uncommon.
Not to mention what the Japanese were willing to fork out for it...

The diagram:

L'AUDIOPHILE VERSION

The 310A datasheet:

WE310 A

Note, the WE310B is no good here.

EDIT: If not mistaken the anode cap is the same as for the 807, check before you buy though...

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• 310a.jpg
    310a.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 975
It

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Unintentionally...
I suppose you know what it's like, people will always ask for this or that because they assume you'll always find it.;)

Which is another good excuse...:D

Either way I just offered to help out, you know.:angel:

Cheers,;)

IT : It's provided me with a job rather than a career . Been there seen it , got promoted , moved up , moved around , sat in boring service review meetings when I could have been in the pub , had rocks thrown at me at 2am in the morning by people who don't realise what the time is in Europe and I'm back where I was 7 years ago but without customers throwing rocks and zero stress . Just the way I like it now , pub is 50 metres away , no-one really bothers me , dealing with helpdesks and 'centres of excellence' who don't have a scooby-doo what they're doing :) It's fun having 15 years experience , all everyone knows how to do these days is to start a conference call :clown: Anyway I'll drop you a mail at some point

316a

Joined 2002
Paid Member
another option 328A

One other thing you can try is a 328A. Its the same tube but with a 7.5 filament isntead of the 10v filament in the 310A. I once gathered the parts to build a WE91a amp but substituted the 328A because its much cheaper.

By the way datasheets for many WE tubes (including the 310A and the 328A) can be found here:
http://www.westernelectric.com/spec_sheets/we_spec_sheets.htm

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

since you've got the tubes, have you compared the Svet 310A to the original WE310A? can you tell us about your observations?

The only thing I can tell you is that back in the early Nineties, when the WE310 A was still "available", this was of course the preferred choice by the WE 91 fans.

Later on on we had to resort to STC equivalents ( STC 4310 A if I recall correctly) and after that the USSR equivalent was sold to customers.

As far as sonic differences go between the original WE and current Svetlana, I honestly don't know.
I can only hope they'll be as good as the WEs.

Another alternative to the WE 91 L'Audiophile is the Zaika 300B which uses the very much more available metal 6SJ7.
While this is a nice penthode, I thoroughly dislike all full metal jackets...:D

Anyway I'll drop you a mail at some point

Looking forward to it.:cool:

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Mike and all concerned,

This afternoon I received an e-mail from my supplier stating that these tubes are NOS.

So, not a new production run as they let me to believe at first.

Bas, take note pls: after these are gone I can't guarantee any further availability.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.