• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

It's been a while since I've been here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All,

Long story short, marriage, kids, jobs, moving, tiny fingers that like to touch hot tubes, and well, lets just say its good to be back.

My 6n7-300b-845 amp prototype is still on breadboard, and will be for a while until I get up the nerve to work with those voltages again.

I sold my VT100MKII. I now have no power amp...

I would like to start building an amp to pair with my ProAC D15s which can then allow me some more time to get comfy before jumping into the 845 and 1000VDC.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/68711-845-a2-monoblock-project.html

Here is my pre:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/25299-12b4a-linestage.html

Its been a long time, and I'd love some suggestions. PP, PPP, probably needing about 40-60W given my listening styles and music.

Would anyone care to help out an old poster with some fresh ideas?

It's good to be back!

Bryan

Bryan,

Increase the preamp's O/P coupling cap. value to 3.3 muF. or more and you can drive the IHF "standard" 10 Kohm load. That means you can find a decent, used, SS amp of 100 or so WPC to get music flowing quickly.

As the 12B4 preamp has some gain, a 7591 based "El Cheapo Grande", with a 6J6, instead of a 12AT7, as the splitter driver would be a fairly fast project to complete. Another option, with reasonable gain structure, is a Mullard circuit using a 6922 voltage amp, an ECC99 LTP, and either EL34 class or 6L6GC class O/P tubes.

I agree with Eli Duttman. I've now purchased over 10 of these, and all I can say is that for SS amps, they're solid, clean, musically sound.

alesys RA-100 | eBay

The idea is, have one of these babies hooked up 'tween your pre and speakers, within a week. Play lots of music while tinkering with the 845. Eventually it'll come about, and then you'll hook it up, and of course … it won't work right. More tinkering. Then it'll be super-sweet. The RA–100 goes back in the pile of to-be-sold stuff. Or used as a remote-speaker amplifier for some other part of the house!

(This is what I did, actually.... one RA–100 in every room, connected to its own assortment of speakers. Although not 'techy', it was easy for the occupants to disable it if they wanted, or turn the House music up, or down to suit their tastes. The kids got over 20 years of classical, jazz, turn-of-the-century, pop, Eno and electronica… Sometimes they'd turn it up, sometimes, down or off. But the house was always a-hum with something strumming on the old banjo.

LOL

GoatGuy

Welcome back Bryan! Looking at your 845 project, I would suggest that you put together some kind of chassis to make it much SAFER for your family enviroment.

Of course I am simply salivating at the Tamura F-2013's OPT's you have... 10k ohm primary.. not sure what your speakers are, but for my 97db full range speakers I would build a simple direct coupled 801a amplifier....

In any case.. if it runs nicely already then it would be a good thing to consider getting the guts of it into a box for safety's sake.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The ProAcs are about 88db/w/m. Not the pinnacle of efficiency. This was my reason for the 845 mono build, which as stated is still in a single channel on a breadboard. I need to look over my files, but if I can remember back I was at the point of designing PCBs for the fils, regs, fans, etc and was sourcing enclosures. I am fully aware that none of the 845 project can take place with the kids nearby and I'm actually about to build a partition wall in the basement to keep some of my more adult friendly hobbies away from the kids. The TAM OPTs are sweet. I got a killer deal on them based on my "student" status at the time. Very nice iron!

I recall getting quotes for some custom extruded aluminum enclosures, which were way too pricey.... Can't remember the name of the company for the life of me, but they had all sorts of aluminum profiles which could be built up to make a solid enclosure. Hmmm, wish I could find that info....

Anyway, the SS idea isn't a bad one and could get me back to music in relatively short order.

I also need to build up a phono stage as my old Pre had one built in and I want to get back to vinyl. That may be a good project as well to get me one step closer to the 845 completion.

What else are good and cheap short term options for the SS route?

Looking forward to slinging some solder!

BK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.