• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quicksilver Silver Mono Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a pair of completely stock QS Silver 90 Mono amps based on QS reputation for simple KISS designs and robust buld quality. After living with these for a while I am looking to improve things like "inner detail" and the sense of "spaciousness" in the sound. I haven't had a much luck from the manufacterer and saw several posts helping mod other QS designs but I'm not sure which of those mods would be applicable to this circuit design? I can't seem to find a schematic for the amp anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Pics of internals:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- Can I use KT120 or KT150 tubes in this amp without circuit changes? Should they be biased the same (90ish mA) and would they have significantly extended life over the KT88. Will they produce more power or sound better? (I am sonsidering the Tung-Sol KT120 heavily)

- What would be the best "bang for the buck" approach to improving this amp or let me ask it...where do I start first

Last edited:
I own a pair that I have had for many years. They are highly modified. I suggest you send Mike a e-mail at Quicksilver about tube compatibility. I have stuck with KT88's. I have gone though a number of them in search for better sound. The current favorite is the Gold Lion remakes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.