• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Filtering of DC volts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have a pending issue to address.

Recently I diy a tube preamp wif a matching tube rectifier power supply. I used this combo on my existing old Sansui amp.

It seems like the amp relay un-triggered(protection led blinking) as it sensed dc on the preamp pre-out stage.

Hence do I have any solution to rectify this issue? Meaning that I able to block any dc from pre-out stage of the tubes entering the power amp stage?

Tks for the feedback.

Joined 2011
It seems like the amp relay un-triggered(protection led blinking) as it sensed dc on the preamp pre-out stage.
Hence do I have any solution to rectify this issue? Meaning that I able to block any dc from pre-out stage
of the tubes entering the power amp stage?

If the circuit is otherwise sound, there may be a turn-on transient from the preamp that the amplifier sees.
I've always added muting at the outputs of tube preamps, in the form of a normally closed relay that shorts
the outputs to ground. It's run by a 555 timer that enables the output after 30 seconds (or more).

Another option instead of the above would be significantly reducing the size of the output coupling capacitors.

Last edited:
Trying to upload some pics to do justice.

Stay tuned

Attachments

• IMG_20150630_091514.jpg
    IMG_20150630_091514.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20150711_224513.jpg
    IMG_20150711_224513.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20150712_111325.jpg
    IMG_20150712_111325.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 97
Joined 2011
Difficult to tell from a fuzzy picture, but it looks like a 3.3uF output cap with a 1M ground leak resistor.
This could put out a significant voltage for quite a lot of seconds after switching on, even with the slow
start of a valve rectifier. Change the resistor to 100k and see if that fixes it.

Yes, or decrease the cap size by a similar factor, which may also improve the sound.
What's the amplifier's input impedance?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.