• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Preamp philips Mullard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gain from a 12AU7 and a 12BH7 are approx. equal.

Do you want an effects machine or a HIFI setup? Search the archives for 12B4 designs. The 12B4 is both linear and low μ (amplification factor).

BTW, what is the I/P impedance of your SS power amp? As low as 10 Kohms is within the IHF "standard". :yes: The 12B4 is one of a very small number of tubes that can drive such a low downstream load successfully, when wired as a common cathode gain stage. :D

trean27 said:
by the way, what tube should I buy to get the best sound specially for Rock music.
What is "best"?

I would like to benefit from the sound from the tube..
Drop it on the floor. If it just bounces then drop it again. Eventually you will hear the sound from the tube. Onlookers may hear the sound from the tube owner too.

The ECC85/6AQ8 closely resembles the 12AT7/ECC81. Given the reasonably high transconductance (gm), a stereo buffered (cathode follower) volume control could be made from a single specimen. Well executed, the setup would be highly transparent. However, the OP has yet to answer my question about wanting linearity or an effects box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.