• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

13.8 volt smps for a kt120 SE amp???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting 24w clean and 36w total power with a kt120, Edcor cxse25-4-2.5k, 4ohm load, and the platform in discussion here. I'm running safely under maximum ratings of the kt120. More to be had if you want to push it to max. The product itself has a surprising low end with any tube and any decent speaker but it is really excels with a kt120 and a high efficiency driver.

A 200 watt inverter can be had for about $50.
voltage double the output to get 320v DC. ( smps transformer provides isolation)
mount in tube amp chassis and connect 12v heaters with appropriate resistor (14.4 v running) to 12v ignition.
Tube voltages can easily kill so be VERY careful

Last edited:
A 200 watt inverter can be had for about $50.
voltage double the output to get 320v DC. ( smps transformer provides isolation)
mount in tube amp chassis and connect 12v heaters with appropriate resistor (14.4 v running) to 12v ignition.
Tube voltages can easily kill so be VERY careful

Yes. Both work. Transformers also work well as a multiplier with inverters. Only real downfall to this approach is cost of caps. HF can be cleaned up for pennies compared to dollars and if the design is good it will make extremely clean power. It may be an overkill but I really like the idea of regulation in an automotive environment even if it’s just heaters.

I started this thread to see if I could bring out some interest in some alternative power supplies. It seems that I find something that I want to build I have output transformers but no suitable PT and vice versa. I am sure others have a similar problem.

It would be nice to find a relatively inexpensive adjustable or configurable smps for about the same price as a decent power transformer. 250 to 400 volts would be nice. line voltage source if possible or the 12 volt rail from an old computer supply.

Question:

Is there a market for these things?

I could turn out a few prototypes for you to get a look at, but I don't want to go to the trouble if they aren't worth a damned thing.

In other words, if you'd eBay one from China for $50, that's pointless. I can't *buy* the parts for less than that. But if this is a $200 luxury kind of thing, I'd be interested.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.