EL84 custom monoblocks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Audio enthusiast
diyAudio Member

Default EL84 custom monoblocks

I acquired 2 el84 custom monoblocks at decent price. Has two 5687's in front of two el84's. Lacks clarity, curious as to anyone's thoughts on how the internals are wires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (793.6 KB, 626 views)
Old 17th July 2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Audio enthusiast
diyAudio Member

Wrong photo first time. Looks to me like heater wiring could be lot better. Wires to output transformer are twisted, not sure if has positive effect on cancelation or just personal preference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (461.1 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by Flipmoore; 17th July 2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 17th July 2015, 11:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

First thing I notice is it does not have the safety ground connected, so it could kill you. Otherwise, you should create a schematic as a first step.
Old 18th July 2015, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Besides the safety earth ground being absent, the power supply ground and signal grounds are at opposite ends of the chassis. Ground buses are good but should come together at a common star point usually near the center of the chassis. The center is not mandatory but always works right for me. And this would affect mostly hum levels if that's what you mean by clarity.

The filament supply appears to be DC and grounded on one side. This should not be a problem in general for a simple design like this one. And twisting the plate and screen output transformer leads shouldn't cause trouble either. Poor clarity can come from many causes and a diagram of the circuit might reveal a circuit design flaw such as operating points for the stages. Parts quality looks acceptable from what I can see.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 18th July 2015, 02:59 AM   #5
Audio enthusiast
diyAudio Member

The earth ground has been fixed on both amps, I got them at a decent price because they had a him that the owner couldn't pinpoint and fix. That took care of any hum that I can hear. I asked the last owner for schematic and haven't heard back from them. I will see what I can draw up
Old 18th July 2015, 03:00 AM   #6
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

There is no feedback so the output impedence will be very high for an EL84 in pp.

The heater seems fine , especially if it doesn't hum.

Grounding this chassis should be a priority!
Old 18th July 2015, 09:41 AM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Looks like an attempt at a bus ground by someone who doesn't understand bus grounds. That may explain hum.

Twisting OPT wires is helpful. Twisting DC heater wires is a waste of time, but won't do any harm.
Old 18th July 2015, 05:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The output transformers appear to be Stancor 51-29 from Heathkit 6BQ5 amps like EA2, EA3, SA2, AA161, AA13, AA151, AA40, etc... They are great irons and I think you have a good foundation to build on. The transformers are ultralinear UL type and I think there is global feedback, judging by the picture. Notice yellow wire off of 8 ohm tap back to the input tube.
Old 19th July 2015, 02:22 AM   #9
Audio enthusiast
diyAudio Member

I am not very proficient at lt spice or drawing schematics at all. But I will do my best to make an interpretable version
Old 19th July 2015, 06:27 AM   #10
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

whatever you do, never use the chassis metalwork to run your psu return currents....

Hide this!Advertise here!