• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first ever vacuum tube amplifier :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I am officially a bottle head now, my first vintage tube amplifier with Tung-Sol 6SN7 drivers and 6AS7G Winged-C power tubes :D

I loved the warm smell of tubes heating up and taking me to HEAVEN!!!

Introducing Feliks - Elise Feliks Audio

Attachments

• k (2).jpg
    k (2).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 647
Bro, visitors are not an issue. Keep it away from your wife haha :D

And the glass never gets old, gotta be the best investment of my life after Focal Utopia!

I too have 'recently' become a bottle head three times over :D:D:D
I love the way the glassware tinkles and 'that smell' warming up / cooling down, the way visitors say:
"Oooo, what are those things"

They transport me to far away places too :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have over the years listened to quite a lot of HIFI,

However there is something about tubes/valves that I keep coming back too. The only problem is that then you want to listen to all kinds of tube amps.:D

Then you want something new and so it goes on the trick is to have a (cough) few different ones and change them over every few months.
The trouble is how can you have them all..:D<<its got to be DIY..
SE/PP/OTL..PPP/PP/..then of course there is Triode..:D
Then you go to listen to amps by high end companies and ask is it better..(who cares..)

Then you think no matter what you have nobody has the same its a one off. The trick is something that rocks the house and then lets you go to sleep with gentle melodies. Nothing like listening to music quietly as you watch the sun go down..

Once you open Pandora's box...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input, I took some pictures, thought you would like to see some :)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC_4837.jpg
    DSC_4837.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC_4789 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_4789 - Copy.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC_4815 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_4815 - Copy.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_4819 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_4819 - Copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC_4837 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_4837 - Copy.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_4840 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_4840 - Copy.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 165
I used to run a mobile disco and used a valve based mixer.
It got some funny looks.
A lot of kids there days have never seen a valve before.

My god-daughter had only ever seen sand amps before she saw my first el84 amp, she was utterly transfixed and genuinely interested in knowing how it worked, so I explained best I could.
The only thing she could not get her head round was point to point wiring, so I flipped it up-side-down and took the bottom cover off......
"Thats really crazy, it's amazing that it works!"
Once she'd listened to it doing it's thing, she stopped listening to her soundbar almost over night and has made repeated hints of:
"I'd love to have that for xmass."

I really want to try kt88's in place of the el34's in the 'big' amp and would like to try triode o.p.'s, to wit I am looking into building my own...... maybe.....

Today's young are after Beats Audio stuff, I am glad she likes tube sound :) Thanks for sharing the story, I am trying to convince my wife to start liking the headphone amplifier on her music, which is mostly mp3 :/

My god-daughter had only ever seen sand amps before she saw my first el84 amp, she was utterly transfixed and genuinely interested in knowing how it worked, so I explained best I could.
The only thing she could not get her head round was point to point wiring, so I flipped it up-side-down and took the bottom cover off......
"Thats really crazy, it's amazing that it works!"
Once she'd listened to it doing it's thing, she stopped listening to her soundbar almost over night and has made repeated hints of:
"I'd love to have that for xmass."

I really want to try kt88's in place of the el34's in the 'big' amp and would like to try triode o.p.'s, to wit I am looking into building my own...... maybe.....

I am looking for these power tubes, if anyone is reading this and has some good tubes, contact me here or in person :)

I.a) GEC Curved Brown Base 6AS7G A1834 CV2523
I.b) Western Electric 421A
I.c) GEC Straight Brown Base 6AS7G A1834 CV2523

II.a.i) Tung Sol 5998
II.a.ii) Tung Sol 421A
II.a.iii) Cetron/Tung Sol 7236
II.b.i) Bendix 6080WB with slotted graphite cross columns
II.b.ii) Bendix 6080WB with solid graphite cross columns
II.b.iii) Bendix 6080WB with solid graphite columns
II.c) Bendix 6080WB
II.d) Mullard (Telefunken/Valvo/GEC) 6080WA CV2984
II.e) Sylvania 7236

III.a) Sylvania Gold Brand 6080
III.b) Tung Sol Chatham 6AS7G
III.c) RCA 6AS7G
III.d) Tung Sol 6080 or 6080WA

Anyone here has GEC 6AS7, Chatham 6AS7, or Mullard 6080, GE 6080 willing to sell? I will love to buy... :) Thanks!

I have GEC and Mullard 6AS7's. the GEC has a fuller sound than the Mullard which is my least favourite in my own design.
However neither matches the sound of a nice pair of Winged C Sveltlana Russian valves which can be had in quads for as little as $15.00 (+P&P) direct from Russia. Fuller smoother sound overall.

Is that a PP design or a SE. 6AS7 PP sound fantastic.

Shoog

Last edited:
Shoog Bro,

This is SE OTL, having Tung Sol 6AN7 driver and Svetlana 6AS7 Winged C. Sound great with this combo, but I want to try something new. Are you willing to sell? Post some pictures here for the love of tube sound.

LR

No not willing to sell. These valves do about a year in my setup running at 100mA with 100V plate to cathode. I only have enough to keep me sweet for another few years.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.