Yet another HV regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default Yet another HV regulator

This is only a simulation, this circuit was intended to be a "raw supply" for a CCS plus a shunt regulator for sensitive valve circuits.

Rectifiers are EZ80, nevertheless in the simulation are used 6X4 because they are the most similar models that I have.

The results are too good to be true, so any criticism is welcome.

Click the image to open in full size.

Added a soft-start for valve happiness

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.JPG (94.7 KB, 1332 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot002.JPG (121.6 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot003.JPG (121.6 KB, 698 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot004.JPG (73.3 KB, 692 views)
Old 3rd July 2015, 06:36 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

ARC has developed a whole series of solid state regulators with floating op-amp based error amplifiers - every time something happens on the load side those op-amps generally get fried. I would recommend looking at ways to reference the error amp to the ground side of the world so that in real world malfunction situations the op-amp will not get fried. Start up behavior may be problematic with circuits implementing what I have suggested.
Old 3rd July 2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popilin View Post

The results are too good to be true, so any criticism is welcome.
You are right: such figures are too good to be true, and questioning them is a sensible engineering practice.

I have published a number of HV regulator designs, some being conceptually very similar to your approach (and most of them tested for real), and my figures are nowhere near yours.

Here is the one I think is the most resembling: it uses an opamp and essentially identical principles. Some details differ, the supply of the opamp for example is a real one, not a floating spice source, but these details will mostly have a second (or higher) order effect.

CCS + Zeners or resistors for 450V reference

So why do I arrive at a mere 96dB ripple rejection instead of 150dB (the output impedance is 110µΩ vs 80µΩ, thus not that far off)?

The answer could be the opamp: you use a 5534, somewhat better than the 358, but that is probably not the root cause.

Your circuit includes no explicit frequency compensations at all, which for high OL gain circuit is an important omission, and that's probably where most of the difference lies. In order to have a stable and working circuit, you need to dumb down the idealistic version, and this has a cost in terms of raw performance

That said, you could also have hit something, because the floating supply allows a kind of bootstrapping helping the PSRR.

This certainly deserves some in-depth investigation, which I didn't carry out.
If you post the .asc of your circuit, this will allow easier scrutiny.

Note that the circuit I gave as an example has been tested and found working with some minor adjustments mainly related to latch-up and similar issues, and I have also posted similar ones in the same vein, you can make a search in the power supply section.
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
ARC has developed a whole series of solid state regulators with floating op-amp based error amplifiers - every time something happens on the load side those op-amps generally get fried. I would recommend looking at ways to reference the error amp to the ground side of the world so that in real world malfunction situations the op-amp will not get fried. Start up behavior may be problematic with circuits implementing what I have suggested.
Hi Kevin, nice to see you around here.

You are absolutely right, floating regulators are some faith act.

Nevertheless, I always used another circuit, with self-powered Op-Amp, much more suicide-style than this with no problems for years, ofcourse with lighter and almost constant loads as SRPP based preamps.

Start-up problems are solved in this case, but my fear is about the MOSFET, I want to use the IRF820 for its low capacitances.

Let's cross fingers.
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Elvee, thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
You are right: such figures are too good to be true, and questioning them is a sensible engineering practice.

I have published a number of HV regulator designs, some being conceptually very similar to your approach (and most of them tested for real), and my figures are nowhere near yours.

Here is the one I think is the most resembling: it uses an opamp and essentially identical principles. Some details differ, the supply of the opamp for example is a real one, not a floating spice source, but these details will mostly have a second (or higher) order effect.

CCS + Zeners or resistors for 450V reference

So why do I arrive at a mere 96dB ripple rejection instead of 150dB (the output impedance is 110µΩ vs 80µΩ, thus not that far off)?

The answer could be the opamp: you use a 5534, somewhat better than the 358, but that is probably not the root cause.
Rats! Mathematical models are treacherous, especially those of MOSFETs, the simulation is very sensitive to that.

Nevertheless I had checked the model for IRF820 and the result is quite good, corresponding with IR datasheet at least until Vds = 50V

The NE5534 is a great Op-Amp, and it is very cheap.

Quote:
Your circuit includes no explicit frequency compensations at all, which for high OL gain circuit is an important omission, and that's probably where most of the difference lies. In order to have a stable and working circuit, you need to dumb down the idealistic version, and this has a cost in terms of raw performance

That said, you could also have hit something, because the floating supply allows a kind of bootstrapping helping the PSRR.

This certainly deserves some in-depth investigation, which I didn't carry out.
If you post the .asc of your circuit, this will allow easier scrutiny.
In simulations the circuit does not oscillates, the problem is that in real world I have only an old 20MHz scope, simulations are my silver bullet.

Into the .zip attachment, the .asc, thanks in advance if you find any problem.

Quote:
Note that the circuit I gave as an example has been tested and found working with some minor adjustments mainly related to latch-up and similar issues, and I have also posted similar ones in the same vein, you can make a search in the power supply section.
Thanks again, I will take a look more carefully.

BTW, the auxiliary PSU

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.JPG (108.0 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot002.JPG (120.6 KB, 587 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip +B_Series.zip (3.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
That plus the fact that it never works reliably in the long run and sounds SS anyway.

Who wants to count the number of ARC units, Counterpoint or whatever (mostly)magical US based designs that failed in always the same way?

Sometimes I wonder, did this fail on purpose or where they that stupid? I suspect the former......

Cheers,
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Frank, nice to see you around here!

What is your opinion about my humble regulator?

Do you think it would be enough and forget the CCS plus shunt regulator?
Old 4th July 2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I made some checks on your sim.

The unbelievably good performances have a number of causes: one is the MOSfet model, with a reasonably realistic one, there is a 15~20dB drop in PSRR.

Another one is the opamp model: even with the LT1115, in principle vastly superior to the 5534, there is a drop of another 30dB (BTW, with the LT1115 in transient analyzis, it oscillates)

And finally, there is the floating supply of the opamp: it also helps a great deal.

However, in the real world, it would be difficult to make a supply sufficiently floating to keep the performances at that level (except with a battery)

For example, here is the rejection of a 1µA stimulus injected as a leakage: the effect at 50Hz is -75dB, much worse than what the input ripple can do.

Currents of this level are easily caused by parasitic capacitances to the transformer, AC wiring, etc

That said, the circuit does show promises, and it would be interesting to develop a working version tackling the issues identified: for example, use another opamp to bootstrap the supply of the regulating one. This would give the benefit of the floating supply, without the problems associated with it
Attached Images
File Type: png Pop1.png (82.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 4th July 2015, 07:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I made some checks on your sim.
Thank you very much for your time and dedication.

Quote:
The unbelievably good performances have a number of causes: one is the MOSfet model, with a reasonably realistic one, there is a 15~20dB drop in PSRR.
As I said before, my model fit reasonably well with IR datasheet

See for yourself

http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rc...96952980,d.eXY

However your "reasonably realistic one" does not

See for yourself

Quote:
Another one is the opamp model: even with the LT1115, in principle vastly superior to the 5534, there is a drop of another 30dB (BTW, with the LT1115 in transient analyzis, it oscillates)
Little detail here: LT1115 is NOT for single supply operation

See for yourself

Quote:
And finally, there is the floating supply of the opamp: it also helps a great deal.

However, in the real world, it would be difficult to make a supply sufficiently floating to keep the performances at that level (except with a battery)

For example, here is the rejection of a 1µA stimulus injected as a leakage: the effect at 50Hz is -75dB, much worse than what the input ripple can do.

Currents of this level are easily caused by parasitic capacitances to the transformer, AC wiring, etc
After finish the match Argentina vs Chile, I will post the complete circuit with real world auxiliary supply, without fanciful additions.

Quote:
That said, the circuit does show promises, and it would be interesting to develop a working version tackling the issues identified: for example, use another opamp to bootstrap the supply of the regulating one. This would give the benefit of the floating supply, without the problems associated with it
It is far easy to ruin a reasonably good design than improve a bad one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IRF820.JPG (77.7 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg STP8NM60.JPG (78.5 KB, 528 views)
Old 4th July 2015, 10:02 PM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popilin View Post
<snip>
It is far easy to ruin a reasonably good design than improve a bad one.
This, unfortunately seems to be true.

Hide this!Advertise here!