• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PL36 (triode) SE

Hi guys,

....just another PL (EL) 36 amplifier. Power output is 8W into 8 Ohm load.
Anode dissipation of the PL36 is ~ 20W, no problem for this tough and good sounding valve.

I "borrowed" the idea for the EL183 driver, more or less, from Yves, but I use slightly different settings.

Regards
Peter

Attachments

• PL36_SE.GIF
    PL36_SE.GIF
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,894
this is a working amplifier build exactly as as illustrated in the diagram...still on breadboard though.

The negative bias is generated by a voltage doubler circuit and stabilized with Z-diodes.

cheers
Peter

Maybe, but the trimmer potentiometer does not regulate anything (especially not the value of the negative bias G1!), except that changes the value of the drain resistor! The current through the trimmer potentiometer is zero, so is no actual voltage drop!

Maybe, but the trimmer potentiometer does not regulate anything (especially not the value of the negative bias G1!),/QUOTE]

...of course it does and it works perfectly :)

The pcb that carries the PL36 valves includes the circuit fot the negative bias raw supply. Only the lower pcb is populated. This bias voltage is fed through to the upper pcb. The bias can be adjusted for each PL36 separately with a individual pot.

The pcbs is from a commercial kit, that was offered by Experience Electronics. It was published in ELRAD (a German electronics magazine) in 1990. Originally this pcb was intended to be used with KT88 or EL34. I modified it a little bit.

Try it out! :)

EL36triode + Ra=3k + Vb=360V and 8W ? Wonder if you even get 4W.
Mona

Dear Mona,

unbelievable but true:

undistorted 1kHz sine wave across 8 Ohm resistor is 8V, clipping occurs at 8,25V!

I use a high quality output transformer and did a lot of testing (different driver tubes etc.) over the last months.

The amplifier is in daily use and by the way dead quiet, no hiss, no hum...nothing but music!

cheers
Peter

A couple things:

1- As previously noted, the bias adjustment can not work as there's no current flowing through the bias adjustment potentiometer. So unless the schematic is wrong, there's no bias voltage adjustment, unless of course the grid is drawing current, which is unlikely.

2- I don't see the output section delivering 8-watts (RMS) with the available plate voltage and the 3000 ohm load. Note that Zen specifically stated 8Vpp (peak-to-peak), not RMS. The link you provided assumes the voltage is RMS. So, if you are getting 8V RMS into an 8-ohm load than you are getting 8-watts output. To calculate RMS volts, you divided Vpp by 2.818, resulting in 2.83V RMS, which would be 1-watt output.

Regards, KM

Dear Peter,

I suggest you learn how to make actual measurements and calculations instead of making declarations that ignore basic electrical laws. You may also want to physically look at the circuit board and create a schematic from it. Bottom line, if the bias adjustment potentiometer works, then the schematic is NOT what you posted.

Regards, KM

PL36 SE with 6E6P driver

If the EL183 is hard to find, the Russian tetrodes 6E6P and 6E5P will also work very well.

Please note the totally different pin out of these two valves.

Please find attached the schematic with 6E6P driver

Attachments

• PL36_6E6P_SE.GIF
    PL36_6E6P_SE.GIF
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,235