• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

R601P Tube Radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have a R601P Tube Radio that works well for about 40mins and then it will distort and goes into humming and scratchy noise, If I switch it off and cool down for a short while it will works again,

Before I go and buy the tube replacement, I would like to have some opinion first. I have ruled out the tuner fault as when I turn to Aux position and listen to my iPod, it did the same thing after 40mins. Potentially it could be the output amp capacitors that is faulty or a faulty tube.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Below is a review of the R601P that was reviewed by 6Moons. 6moons audio reviews: Quest for Sound R601P tube radio

Thanks

The pictures suggest it is not a tube radio, but a solid-state radio with (perhaps) a tube output stage. It could sound as bad as any 1950s radio.

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the output valves going into thermal runaway. Possible reasons:
1. poor design, running them too hot
2. gassy valves - these may settle down or may get worse with age
3. leaky coupling capacitor to the valve grid - unlikely in something new (but it is Chinese!)
4. grid leak resistor too high in value

Keep an eye on the valve voltages, especially grid and cathode.

The pictures suggest it is not a tube radio, but a solid-state radio with (perhaps) a tube output stage. It could sound as bad as any 1950s radio.

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the output valves going into thermal runaway. Possible reasons:
1. poor design, running them too hot
2. gassy valves - these may settle down or may get worse with age
3. leaky coupling capacitor to the valve grid - unlikely in something new (but it is Chinese!)
4. grid leak resistor too high in value

Keep an eye on the valve voltages, especially grid and cathode.
Thanks DF96. Yes, the radio itself is not tube but just the output stage is tube. I have ordered new replacement tube and waiting for it to arrive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.