wish to buy 10's or other tungsten DHT's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2015, 09:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default wish to buy 10's or other tungsten DHT's

When vacuumtubes.net doesn't have stock, it's a problem.

Looking to buy 10's or other DHT's

happy to purchase privately, or if anyone has a suggestion for tungsten filament DHT's that are no longer easy to get

CLARIFICATION: I'm not looking for oxide-coated DHT's!!!!!

I'm only looking for tungsten or thoriated tungsten filament DHT's that are NOT oxide coated.

The 10 is a perfect example. I'm not using them as output tubes, but as interstage tubes - so huge, like the 845, is not what I'm looking for.

I have found it is sometimes difficult to figure out whether a DHT is oxide-coated or not from the data sheet, except that I'm pretty sure DHT's needing 7.5 volts and a ton of current ARE tungsten or thoriated tungsten without the oxide coating, and....

DHT's with a filament voltage of 2.5 volts are certainly oxide-coated.

Whew!!!! Well, any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

Now to go make a list of DHT's that take 7.5 volts on the filament and a ton of current.......tum tee dumm...
Old 28th May 2015, 11:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would love to see new production 10/801As.

There are new production 811As out there. You may have to employ some local feedback to get rp down depending on the application but I think you could do a lot with that tube and availability doesn't seem to be a problem. There weren't a lot of low power TT tubes.
Old 29th May 2015, 12:13 PM   #3
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro27 View Post
When vacuumtubes.net doesn't have stock, it's a problem.

Looking to buy 10's or other DHT's

happy to purchase privately, or if anyone has a suggestion for tungsten filament DHT's that are no longer easy to get

CLARIFICATION: I'm not looking for oxide-coated DHT's!!!!!

I'm only looking for tungsten or thoriated tungsten filament DHT's that are NOT oxide coated.

The 10 is a perfect example. I'm not using them as output tubes, but as interstage tubes - so huge, like the 845, is not what I'm looking for.

I have found it is sometimes difficult to figure out whether a DHT is oxide-coated or not from the data sheet, except that I'm pretty sure DHT's needing 7.5 volts and a ton of current ARE tungsten or thoriated tungsten without the oxide coating, and....

DHT's with a filament voltage of 2.5 volts are certainly oxide-coated.

Whew!!!! Well, any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

Now to go make a list of DHT's that take 7.5 volts on the filament and a ton of current.......tum tee dumm...
3C24 , 826 , T20 15E etc are all good-sounding drivers and have thoriated tungsten filaments , all fairly easy to obtain

316a
Old 29th May 2015, 06:05 PM   #4
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I use constantly thoriated tungsten tubes: 10/10Y/VT-25; 801/801a/VT-62; 841/VT-51.

841 is super medium mu (about 30) voltage amplifier tube (I use it between 5-15mA and high anode voltage -400..500V-), but very sensitive to loading and filament is very fragile (even in cold state). I lost a few pieces. :-(

10/801 is robust, and 10Y/801a is more robust (I use its with up to 30mA and 620V in my 8W PSE amplifier), but TT filament is very sensitive thing.
I use its with DC filament (separated filament transformer, schottky graetz, r-C-r-C-L-C raw supply, Rod Coleman regulator).
Radiated hum sensitivity is different in each tubes (even 25dB! difference).

I prefer oldest, lower power graphite anode tubes for voltage amplifier (preamp, CF). It's THD is usually lower (but metal anode TT tube's THD is better even at 200-300Vpp than modern tube ones :-) ) than newer (60 years old :-) ) ones, tone of music -for me- is cleaner.

Unfortunately price of this tubes constantly grow.
Old 30th May 2015, 06:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
I use constantly thoriated tungsten tubes: 10/10Y/VT-25; 801/801a/VT-62; 841/VT-51.
Unfortunately price of this tubes constantly grow.
I have some 10/10Y which I hold on to because the price just goes up. I don't use them, and will probably never use them. I also have some 46 which I don't sell. I won't use them either. I have a lot of 26 tubes - not sure whether to sell or keep those. And AZ1 tubes - keeping those as well. I just see these kind of tubes going up and up.
Old 31st May 2015, 03:23 AM   #6
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Best value in thoriated tungsten DHT has to be new 833C tubes. You can get them for $120-140 from Penta and RFParts. That's a LOT of DHT for the money!
Old 1st June 2015, 12:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Just got a mail back from thetubecenter.com. No stock.

Hide this!Advertise here!