Bijou resistors specs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2015, 10:08 PM   #1
weber30 is offline weber30  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bijou resistors specs

I looked at the parts for the Bijou amp on

https://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/bij...?page=ampparts

and was wondering whether the cheaper resistors with around 100ppm (Temperature Coefficient) will do or if they should be 10ppm or at least 50ppm ? Does it really matter with regards to sound/reliability ? Thanks.
Old 27th May 2015, 12:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It won't make much difference. You only run into problems in places like opamp feedback loops where a slight change will really show.
Old 27th May 2015, 01:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

For this circuit 100 ppm or even more is not a problem. And for the most part 1% is not necessary either. Personally I never liked or used ⅛ watt resistors. They're too damn small and hard to work with, meaning fragile. ¼ watt is the smallest I use. And metal resistors don't like overloads. But that's another whole discussion.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 27th May 2015, 08:22 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Specifying 1/8W resistors for a valve design is daft. At the first DC fault half your resistors go up in smoke; then how do you do fault tracing? 1/4W minimum, but 1/2W would be better.

Temperature coefficient is irrelevant. Almost all modern resistors are much better than those which were routinely used in the valve era.
Old 27th May 2015, 05:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Bijou parts (capacitors)

I'm going through the parts list for the Bijou and it (among others) lists the following two capacitors:

Metalized Polyester/Polypropylene Film 100n 400V
Metalized Polyester/Polypropylene Film 1u 250V

I looked at mouser.com and seem to have difficulty finding the right one (sorry, newbie issue). Anybody got a link?

Does the 400V or 250V refer to AC or DC voltage?

Thanks for the help.
Old 27th May 2015, 05:26 PM   #6
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber30 View Post
Does the 400V or 250V refer to AC or DC voltage?
The marked voltage is always DC (or peak) unless specifically marked AC.
The outer foil is often marked with a line.

Last edited by rayma; 27th May 2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 27th May 2015, 05:35 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Film Capacitors | Mouser

Film Capacitors | Mouser

There's an embarrassingly large selection.
Old 28th May 2015, 04:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Specifying 1/8W resistors for a valve design is daft. At the first DC fault half your resistors go up in smoke; then how do you do fault tracing? 1/4W minimum, but 1/2W would be better.

Temperature coefficient is irrelevant. Almost all modern resistors are much better than those which were routinely used in the valve era.
I guess you got a good point there. Why safe on a few cents here...
Old 28th May 2015, 04:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Bijou transformer

I am still going through the list of parts for the Bijou amp and started looking at the transformer. It lists the Hammond 270 DAX (117 VAC ; 6.3V at 3.5A) as the recommendation. I read some places, though, that EdCor got some cheaper ones. Anybody know their equivalent (model number) and maybe reasons why using one of those might be a bad idea?

I was also wondering if there is any sound improvement in getting two and running each channel separately (as a mono block, so to say) ?
Old 28th May 2015, 05:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Edcor makes good transformers for the money. The only problem is they make them when you place your order so for me it is usually about 8 weeks wait time.

I have noticed that you have multiple threads for just this one amplifier. It might be less confusing to people if you had just one thread dedicated to this amplifier. Maybe mods can tidy it up into one thread? Anyway I have had good luck with Edcor transformers.

Hide this!Advertise here!