Fisher KX-200 driving a pair of ESL from the plates - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2015, 06:55 PM   #1
mazur is offline mazur  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fisher KX-200 driving a pair of ESL from the plates

Hi.

I have a Fisher KX-200 that I connected an electrostatic panel stators directly to the 7591 plates. The ESL speaker is covering the band >200Hz with an active crossover. It works fine and sounds pretty good, but I had two questions:

- What happens if I take the OPT out completely and connect B+ directly to the plate? If it's doable, are there any advantages to doing it?

- How about the feedback from the OPT common...can I lower or even disconnect?

You can see the service manual on Fisher KX-200 Manual - Stereophonic Master Control Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Here is the output section of the schematic:

kx200.JPG

Thanks for the help
Elias
Old 24th April 2015, 07:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazur View Post
I have a Fisher KX-200 that I connected an electrostatic panel stators directly to the 7591 plates.
Ah, direct drive ESL! The King of High End Fidelity! =)

Quote:
- What happens if I take the OPT out completely and connect B+ directly to the plate? If it's doable, are there any advantages to doing it?
If you take the OT out of the circuit, the output tubes' anodes stop producing any voltage swing.

You could replace the OT with two chokes possibly.

Quote:
- How about the feedback from the OPT common...can I lower or even disconnect?
Your amp is not very linear without that NFB.

You're on to an excellent thing (direct drive ESL), but I'd start fresh. I've done some experiments with (all DIY) ESL headphones and some some small panels, and direct drive really is the way to go.

It's a big project though. I'd use about 1000V B+, and a transmitter triode with a MOSFET plate load. All balanced, CCS tails of course.
Old 24th April 2015, 07:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks MrCurwen. In reality, because I'm only using the amp from ~200Hz and above, the load on the OPT is not too bad. I had it at full power driving the ESL panels for a while and the dummy load barely got warm.

Agreed that a DIY amp like you suggest is the way to go and I'm planning to eventually build one. I have a copy of the Audio Amateur issue with the article from David Hermeyer describing his amp, which is very much like what you suggest. I have a few 1625 tubes around and though about using them, though they do not go that high in terms of voltage.
Old 24th April 2015, 07:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What kind of voltage swing do your panels need?
Old 24th April 2015, 08:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Not sure. These panels were built by a friend's dad long time ago, probably by the time David Hermeyer's article came out :-) I got them a few years' back and now finally decided to bring them to life. They are segmented, each panel about 38"x6", I have 4 in each speaker. The KX-200 has about 430V B+ and it plays loud enough for my listening room. Not too loud though. I can vary my bias supply, at ~2500V it starts to crackle a bit, so that's probably as much as it likes. I think around 1000V voltage swing would be just about right.

Here are the panels after I rebuilt the frame:

WP_20150421_001.jpg
Old 24th April 2015, 08:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That's a thing of beauty!

Well, cheap and easy to obtain 2C22 would do about 800 V differential swing. Then there's 2C26A, which could do a whole lot more. It's also cheap.

I would use real triodes, and low current types. Dissipation becomes a real issue with high B+.

I've built (for a electrostatic deflection TV no less) a balanced amp that did 700 V differential swing with 650V B+, using 2C22. Great linearity. For my ESL experiments I used the same kind of amp. My panels were really bad though (one caugh on fire rather dramatically), so I couldn't comment on volume.

I'll draw up a schematic of the 2C22 amp on Spice.
Old 24th April 2015, 08:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

A schematic would be great!! Thanks.

I'm really hoping my panels don't follow yours and go up on flames. According to my friend, his dad use to play them often, so I'm hoping that won't happen. He probably built an amp too but I could not find it :-(
Old 24th April 2015, 09:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't have a Spice model for 2C22, but this approximates it close enough.

Swings 900 volts before clipping. FETs should be 1000V types. Output to stators is at the sources of the plate loads.

Hard to say how loud it would be on a particular panel. Good thing is, this kind of amp is not that expensive to build, and most parts can be reused if it turns out insufficient.
Attached Images
File Type: png big swing amp.png (9.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 27th April 2015, 03:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCurwen View Post

Swings 900 volts before clipping. FETs should be 1000V types. Output to stators is at the sources of the plate loads.

Hard to say how loud it would be on a particular panel. Good thing is, this kind of amp is not that expensive to build, and most parts can be reused if it turns out insufficient.
Thanks for the schematic. I connected the Fisher KX-200 yesterday and it sounded really nice. They have about 440V on the plates. Pretty loud and the sound is amazingly clear.

I'll start looking into building the amp.

Thanks again.
Elias
Old 4th May 2015, 08:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCurwen View Post

Hi MrCurwen. I have a 500V variable PS that I was thinking about using to power these. If I put 500V instead of 800V, what adjustments I need to do? What's the wattage of the load resistors?

Thanks
Elias

Hide this!Advertise here!