300B amp project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2015, 11:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 300B amp project

Hi there,

I'm thinking about an custom SET amp. I use headphone and I owned several high end amp like Woo WA5 maxed, DNA Stratus, Eddie Current Super 7, Balancing Act 300B and 2A3MKIV.

Currently I own an Moth S2A3 with Electra Print transformer and Vishay resistor.

The amp which I like the best is the Balancing Act 300B (liquid, organic and very smooth) but sounds a bit flat and the Moth S2A3 but lacks liquidity.

The sounds I like is relaxed but with heft when required, super smooth, rather thick with euphonic medium and liquid. I prefer a more 3D soundstage rather than huge/ethereal soundstage.
It doesn't implies that I want dip on the frequency, I prefer rather flat response frequency and no shouty or upfront frequency.

I don't want to build the amp, I want advice that helps me to ask to DIYer what I want exactly in terms of shematic and components.

My budget is 3000 dollars.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Old 18th April 2015, 02:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

First...are You from?
Projects: OTL-OCL 6AS7 Gen. Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, E84L Siemens, E236L Telefunken, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA,... PPs 6005 Gen. Electric, EL34 Mullard, 6L6....
Old 18th April 2015, 03:41 PM   #3
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun7er View Post
Hi there,

The sounds I like is relaxed but with heft when required, super smooth, rather thick with euphonic medium and liquid. I prefer a more 3D soundstage rather than huge/ethereal soundstage.
It doesn't implies that I want dip on the frequency, I prefer rather flat response frequency and no shouty or upfront frequency.....

Thanks in advance
Regards
Old 18th April 2015, 04:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

But, what does it all mean?
Old 19th April 2015, 07:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry , couldn't resist . Have you ever tried plain vanilla, archetypal 6SN7 cascade 300B amp? Something like Audio Note Quest , JE Labs (Angela , Derek Walton) , Jc Morrison , Reichert ? Hardly any advanced DiYer builds those but they really can sound business and may have the quality you're looking for . I'd just search for Audio Note Quest on used market. I think you could find it in your price range.
rgrds
Old 19th April 2015, 07:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry I'm not native English speaker. I'm from France.

I tried to describe which type of sound I like.
To sum up in a few words : smoother, thick, euphonic mids and liquid, no shouty.

I didn't try the achetypal, I'm more engaged on DIY amps because I can work with the builder in order to have the amps which I like.

If I understand, for this kind of sound it's not necessary to have more exotic schematic like an 300b driven by an 300b ?

Last edited by Hun7er; 19th April 2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 19th April 2015, 09:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to alexkhar
Hi,
I recommend you use 6K5GT for preamp. This is the best choice for 300b. I use this tube in special mode: U=500V, Ra=180kOhm, Rk=2kOhm, Ia=1,3mA. The sound is crystal.
Alex.
Old 19th April 2015, 10:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thank you.
I read several informations on Internet.
The Balancing Act I owned use
"external power supply, which in addition to dual power transformers, two 6X4 rectifier tubes, and dual regulated B+ supplies, features an 18 watt 40kHz discrete power amplifier with current limiting that drives the filaments of the direct-heated output triodes with high frequency AC,"

Vapor rectifier tubes can be better than others ?
Old 20th April 2015, 01:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

http://www.neurochrome.com/300b-set-amp/

Have a look at this amp. It very well documented. It can also be replicated very well because of all the circuitboards...meaning that it will almost certainly perform as advertised. And was very highly regarded by several headphone users that heard it at a headphone meet.

It also use high frequency circuitry which powers the filaments of the 300b.

I do no know about vapour rectifiers...since I've never tried them. But they are not so easy to find and quite expensive. (Plus dangerous if they break)

The only drawback of the Damn Good 300b is perhaps that some of the boards and parts may be out of stock.
Old 20th April 2015, 03:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun7er View Post
Hi,

Sorry I'm not native English speaker. I'm from France.

I tried to describe which type of sound I like.
To sum up in a few words : smoother, thick, euphonic mids and liquid, no shouty.

I didn't try the achetypal, I'm more engaged on DIY amps because I can work with the builder in order to have the amps which I like.

If I understand, for this kind of sound it's not necessary to have more exotic schematic like an 300b driven by an 300b ?
I'm not a native English speaker either. You are fluent enough to be perfectly understood . Just you have to understand that desirable sound characteristic you describe are rather subjective and will mean different things to different listeners. I think what you described is a typical sound of 300B amp which usually gets bad rap here. Hence my recommendation for old 6SN7 cascade front end with self (automatic) bias 300B. The level of euphonic coloration will depend on the type of output transformer and parts used. Carry Audio 300B amps are also blamed for that kind of sound . As far as I know Jadis 300B amp is of the same topology. I really like Audio Note UK output transformers but they tend to be very expensive.
Rgrds, L

Hide this!Advertise here!