Strange problem wit a 3 tube preamplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2015, 07:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Strange problem wit a 3 tube preamplifier

Hi
I had a strange experience with two of my TPA3116 boards this evening. I tried one board with a 3 tube pre that I use to listen last year just to compare the sound with another one. As soon as i power on the amplifier it start with a strong an repetitive pop in right speaker only. I immediately disconnected the pre an power on the amplifier again. Unfortunately it continue with this behavior only. Doing once again with a new board (curiosity killed the cat and I received the same result. The pre use to be in a good condition until now but now obviously is not working and killed my boards.

Any idea how to fix first the boards and then the pre?

The preamp is like this:
6N3 bile rectifier tube preamp streaking version ( with transformer )-in Home Appliances Stocks from Home Appliances on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
but with R-core transformer. Where to look first for the "guilty" one?

Thank you!

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th April 2015, 02:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

When I got popping in my headphone amp it was a resistor going bad. I could see a spark come from it every time there was a pop.
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Solved.
After trying to improved it with a new ALPS pot something was done unclean with the wiring and I think that was the reason for the preamp to start oscillate and damaged the amplifier module.
After re-work all the wiring and measure everything now it works perfect.

Thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!