• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fully silver hard wired

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re all.

Is there any need in your opinion to hard-wire a 2A3 triode-based SE Class A amp with completely silver cables? (Except power and output transformers.)

Does it have any effect on the sound, like lots of high-end fanatics agree in ?

What are their opinion based on? Just blinded of the ultra-high price ("oh it must be ultra high-end") or what ?

The well known skin-effect comes at first at so much higher frequencies which is completely not even inaudible, but insensible for our ears. And here I'm talking about MHz frequencies, not 100KHz or even lower)..

So what could be the reason for some brands to use everything inside their amplifiers in pure silver ?

And they say, it works. Still better.

Is it REAL and measurable, feelable, or is it nothing else than simple psychoacoustic? :scratch1:

Use whatever you think is best.

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/images/ax_wire.pdf

I did some calculations yesterday for 3 inches (76mm) of 18 guage wire.
silver: 1.47 milli-ohms
copper: 1.60 milli-ohms

I'm going to use silver--because of the novelty, and because it is slightly better for electrical and thermal conductivity. Silver wire does not add that much to the total cost of my project.

The one bad thing I've read about silver is that it can migrate (but you'll have to do you're own research about that...I'm not worried at this point).

JF

Yeah,

I think I will also use teflon insulated silver cable, to be exact, this one:

Kacsa Audio Hungary

(It's in English, click on the left on Neotech cable -> Inner cable. Type SHUW)

I hope it will be enough regarding thickness. 0,31 mm2 ... if not, I'll double wire that point I think, I mean, with two of these.

Another question: about how long should be bought from such a cable ? Not exactly, just in common, while building a tube amp.

Vortex said:
Another question: about how long should be bought from such a cable ? Not exactly, just in common, while building a tube amp.
Sorry, I don't understand your question. If it relates to tubes, I'm not sure I can help.

I think I will also use teflon insulated silver cable, to be exact, this one:

Kacsa Audio Hungary

(It's in English, click on the left on Neotech cable -> Inner cable. Type SHUW)

Got it. Looks good. I guess 0,31 mm2 is about 22 gauge (AWG). I'm think of buying bare silver wire and Telfon tubing seperately. I think it will be easier to work with (stripping etc.).

I hope it will be enough regarding thickness. 0,31 mm2 ... if not, I'll double wire that point I think, I mean, with two of these.

hehehe...well, I'm going to use two wires (if I can). One wire across, don't cut, and the same wire back. Some people claim that wire has directionality. So, to get rid of that have the wire go back and forth in different directions (to make the path bi-directional).

JF

I use teflon insulated silver plated multistrand copper wire.

I works great :)

I dont use it for the sake of the silver though, but because the quality is high and i got it cheap. Bought more than 1KM of it :)

It is usually expensive. A friend of mine in sweeden used to buy it somewhere in england for something like 3 usd per meter. I got it for a fraction of that.

It has one major benefit, and thats the insulation. Its great that its not sensitive to heat/- solder/- soldering irons.

It makes great interconnects as well....on par with the best commercial interconnects ive heard.

Magura

johnferrier: I don't know, how much from any type of cable will be used to hard-wire a DIY amp. :) 2 meters ? 20 ? (inches for you of course, I think ) ...

That's it. :)

Just in common, no exact lenght.

So I just need an estimated length of ALL wires inside of a tube amp, it depends on the design of course and circuit diagram ... therefore it shouldn't be exact (cannot be).

:)

Vortex said:

johnferrier: I don't know, how much from any type of cable will be used to hard-wire a DIY amp. :) 2 meters ? 20 ? (inches for you of course, I think ) ...

Ok. Got it. I'm going to order 5 feet (1.5 meters) of 17 gauge uninsulated silver. (And shorter pieces of 21 and 23 gauge.) This is for a 9"x6"x5" (23x15x13 cm) headphone amplifier. Pretty sure that I'll have enough wire.

What does "LN" mean ?

Liquid Nitrogen. And I'm not sure if Tim understands what he is saying either.

JF

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The hook-up wire that AN sells comes from this company:

DESKADEL

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• ea_teflon_montagedraad.jpg
    ea_teflon_montagedraad.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 571
The only one that got the question almost rigth was Frank.

They just dont sell 5mm silver rod there.

The reason to ask in the first place wasnt that i dont know that audio this and audio that will sell me silver....i know that perfectly well, but i also know that the price is totally lost. For the price they charge for silver....i can get stamped gold at the jevellery store.

Magura :)

johnferrier said:
Liquid Nitrogen. And I'm not sure if Tim understands what he is saying either.

So it's worth the uh... well let's see, silver is $6.20/ounce, copper $1.10? About 5.5 times the cost for less than 1.1 times the conductivity... If that is considered cost-effective, then you should go grab some superconductor and a gallon or two dewar of LN.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.