• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fully silver hard wired

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In the description they say the 2% content is easily enough to prevent silver leaching. Are 4% solders a lot more?

I have been using eutectic solder from RS containing 4% silver for at least a decade...Probably more.

26 Quid a spool will depend on the weight of the spool, won't it?

No matter the price, it's excellent for soldering silver.

Cheers,;)

P.S. Jeweller silver is only appropiate for Magura's application where you need contact hardness...Other than that, forget it.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Jaws' Still Out There..

Hi,

Perhaps the reason that silver is popular has nothing to do with its slightly improved conductivity compared to solder, but the fact that you get far better soldered joints.

Nope....

Believe or not, I don't care either way but it's soo revealing of faults downstream or upstream the chain that this is definetely a tool/product I just don't want to be without...

Try it it out for yourself, please do. It can be a true ear opener...

Cheers,;)

Thanks FDE,

I was only thinking of the jeweller's silver for Magura, don't worry. :)

Do you have an RS P/N for the silver solder? They sure do have a lot listed there! The 26 pounds was for a 500g spool I think, RS 551-671. I've always used standard tin / lead solder so I wasn't quite sure about the prices.

Is this the kind? 362-8061

Thanks,
John

:eek:

Looks like I'll have to move to Denmark! :D

Do you have these at your house? They look like some seriously expensive tools. I thought I saw the BP close $100,000 new. I imagine tooling is not a fun job either. :)

I found a video clip of the Daewoo centre running and remembered using an old manual BP to machine something. I had to take off about half a mm per pass before it began oscillating. The Daewoo seems to be slicing thru the metal.

Very impress stuff!

I'm still stuck using a Denford Orac CNC lathe. :cool:
It's small enough that I'm even considering dragging it into the house so I can wind coils in the warm. :smash:

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.