Fully silver hard wired - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2004, 02:49 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sch3mat1c
If that is considered cost-effective, then you should go grab some superconductor and a gallon or two dewar of LN.
Okay. Thanks for spelling that out. But from my perspective, I'm spending over $500 for a dual one-watt per channel headphone amplifier (no power supply, LEDs, etc.). $20 worth of silver wire isn't going to "break the bank" here. If I don't tinker with some silver wire for this project probably never would. Also, I appreciate that the silver is a slightly better thermal conductor as well. I'd try LN, if it was easier to obtain and work with. I had thought of using Peltier coolers though... One more for ya though, how about liquid Teflon or Fluorinert ($70 for 100ml). Guess such stuff is used to cool such things as the Cray Supercomputers. Some people have used it for cooling their modified home computer. (Reviewing this information again, I guess they cool the Fluorinert with LN : ).

Click the image to open in full size.

JF
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:03 AM   #22
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

John,

If it's not too much trouble, build the amp with standard hook-up CU wire first than modify it using high-grade silver....

If your speaker are up to it, you should hear the differences quite clearly.

OTOH, you can experiment with silver ICs and Sp cable already...There's more to silver than conductivity alone.

Metals do have a sound of their own...

Cheers,
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:15 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default But only one Frank...

There are several Johns here. Honestly, I think I only want to build one amplifier. As long as it works, I'll be happy with however it sounds. Next project though will be a good power supply or a trickle charger (I expect only 5 hours on twelve 9V batteries). I'm going with silver wire, RCAs, headphone jack, and switch contacts. (It's for Senn HD650's.) As mentioned before, I like the layout of our house, but there isn't a great place to get stereo imaging setup perfectly (okay, probably not the best excuse--but I'll see how this headphone amp works first). And my Yamaha minisystem works fine in the office (especially, now with the isolation transformer).

JF
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:28 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
OTOH, you can experiment with silver ICs and Sp cable already...There's more to silver than conductivity alone.
Like what?

By the way, you ever get in touch with Dr. C?

Quote:
Metals do have a sound of their own...
Well, some people have different subjective experiences with different metals. Don't know yet that it has anything to do with the metal itself though.

se
Old 2nd February 2004, 05:24 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by johnferrier
I'd try LN, if it was easier to obtain and work with. I had thought of using Peltier coolers though... One more for ya though, how about liquid Teflon or Fluorinert ($70 for 100ml). Guess such stuff is used to cool such things as the Cray Supercomputers. Some people have used it for cooling their modified home computer. (Reviewing this information again, I guess they cool the Fluorinert with LN : ).
No, the LN temperature (circa 78K IIRC) is required to produce superconductivity. You can go lower, say, helium, but higher and it won't conduct at all (such as the high-temp superconductors are).

I won't dare get into "sound of metals" crap because there is absolutely no measured reason for it. You can believe in $500 cables all you want...

Tim
Old 2nd February 2004, 11:56 AM   #26
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Send a message via MSN to Vortex
A part of sound is the way you treat your DIY-built system.

If you hear some sort of silver cable sound better than other metals, just use it. It may be pure psychoacoustics. And what ? You still "hear" that difference - with your mind.

And that's the most important, that your system fits your needs at any cost you can afford.

I don't understand for example, why the AN Ongaku should be warmed 12 hours before use (at a high-end show was this the case)... it's also psychoacoustics, nothing else, I think. But still makes you feel better, the knowledge, that you're working with some kind of special materials now

Old 2nd February 2004, 12:29 PM   #27
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I have experimented with various silver wires as interconnects over time and with various components but I have never been totally satisfied. Initially sound seems clearer and more detailed but over time I start getting a bit of listening fatigue and the upper mids sound too forward. I think the best sound for me is very thin solid copper.
Old 2nd February 2004, 02:06 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by Vortex
A part of sound is the way you treat your DIY-built system.

<Snip good post>

Exactly.

Tim
Old 2nd February 2004, 02:19 PM   #29
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

What do you want to do with them?

I really don't see any use related to audio...
If you want bare silver wire and PTFE tubing then that's no big deal, but rods of silver? I thought that stuff was for silversmiths...

Cheers,

Its for a bunch of diy attenuators. Since i have a cnc milling center, i figured it would pay off to make a few myself. Elna is waaay overpriced, and i just dont like the chineese plastic version.

The silver rod would be for the contacts...machined from solid silver, maybe its nessecery to gold plate them as well, time will show if i turn the volume up and down often enough to avoid oxydation of the raw silver.

Cheers

Magura
Old 2nd February 2004, 02:24 PM   #30
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Send a message via MSN to Vortex
Exactly...

some guys here made a blind listening test with two amps, one of them fully silver wired inside, the other not.

Even he had the silver version - and therefore accomoddated to it's silver voice - he missed from 10 listening samples 6 times (!) that it was HIS silver stuff.

That was a really lol, how he "really hears" that silver's working

(On the other hand, there are some fully silver equipments too, but their amazing sound depends - I think - on the circuit diagrams and the quality of each part).

Hide this!Advertise here!