• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Transformer Rating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Can someone please help guide me in how I should think about the current rating for power transformers in valve amplifiers.

I'm putting together a supply for a 7591A based Baby Huey. According to the data-sheet, I believe I need 184mA idle and 330mA peak for the plate and screen for a stereo amplifier. Is there a rule-of-thumb for the power supply current rating?

Using PSUD2 with a bridge rectifier and a single smoothing capacitor, the current drawn from the transformer is ~2x the load current i.e. designing for a 330mA load the transformer needs to be rated at ~660mA. This seems a lot higher than many designs I've seen, so I'm assuming that in practice people typically don't specify the power supply to run at full-power continuously :eek:

Am I doing something wrong and/or is there a rule-of-thumb that I should use for the power supply current rating based on the idle/peak current consumption of the output valves?

Thanks.

Justin.

If I understand your proposal correctly, that would suggest a ~400VA transformer (400 * 0.33 * 3). That's 50% higher than what I thought would be conservative by specifying for peak current consumption. I feel I must be missing something e.g. this Dynaco ST70 replacement transformer is rated at 720V CT @ 300mA i.e. 216VA. :confused:

I'm putting together a supply for a 7591A based Baby Huey. According to the data-sheet, I believe I need 184mA idle and 330mA peak for the plate and screen for a stereo amplifier. Is there a rule-of-thumb for the power supply current rating?
What matters is the maximum average current demand, not the peak current. Also, 'valve transfomers' usually take into account a typical power factor, so when they say "200mA" or whatver, they mean 200mA DC.

I'm not familiar with the Baby Huey, but if the average current at max power happens to be 230mA say, then you'd be OK with a 230mA transformer deliberately designed for valve applications. On the other hand, if its a modern off the shelf transformer not designed for valve applications then you should multiply the figure by about 1.5, implying a transformer current rating of 345mA.

But, how long will the amp be driven to max power? If it's a hifi amp, not much. If that's the case then you can reasonably derate the current rating a bit. Say, 200mA (valve transformer) or 300mA (modern transformer).

Joined 2011
If I understand your proposal correctly, that would suggest a ~400VA transformer (400 * 0.33 * 3).
That's 50% higher than what I thought would be conservative by specifying for peak current consumption.
I feel I must be missing something e.g. this Dynaco ST70 replacement transformer is rated at 720V CT @ 300mA i.e. 216VA. :confused:

Hey, that's exactly three times the 70W total output power rating!

What matters is the maximum average current demand, not the peak current. Also, 'valve transfomers' usually take into account a typical power factor, so when they say "200mA" or whatver, they mean 200mA DC.

ah, that explains a lot. Thanks.

I'm likely to use a custom made toroidal transformer and hence it looks like I should be using 1.5x as a rule of thumb, and then derate by up to 15% for hi-fi application.

I'm not sure what the average current demand will be, but clearly peak is an upper bound i.e. if I specify the B+ secondary AC current rating as 330mA * 1.5 * 0.85 = 420mA, that should be sufficient.

This is also now consistent with the Dynaco ST70 replacement transformer I referred to, assuming it is specified with an appropriate power factor i.e. 300mA * 1.5 = 450mA.

A few things to consider . If using choke input or with a small value capacitor after the rectifier , the mains transformer will typically run cooler than a comparative supply running capacitor input . Windings for full wave or valve rectifiers will have far greater losses than a single winding for a bridge rectifier , for this reason I prefer hybrid bridge rectifiers over valves . Better safe than sorry , always over rate the mains transformer , once the chassis is bashed to fit , you're stuck with it . Also avoid transformers with a 220V or 230V primary in the UK . Using multiple transformers , one for HT , one for heaters etc also adds flexibility if you have the space and funds

316a

Thanks for all the input.

It sounds like a transformer rated somewhere between 420 and 660mA AC is appropriate for a bridge rectified supply with a simple smoothing capacitor. There's little difference in cost for a larger core, so I'll go more towards the conservative end of the spectrum.

The only thing I don't understand is why PSUD2 is seemingly inconsistent with the Sowter/Hammond design guides. They both indicate the AC current should be specified as 1.6x the DC current for a bridge/capacitor configuration. If I simulate the same in PSUD2, it's more than 2x the DC current. I'm sure they're both right, and it's just a matter of definition, but can someone help explain the difference.

Thanks.

Attachments

• psud2_bridge_330.gif
    psud2_bridge_330.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 112
  • hammond_bridge_guide.gif
    hammond_bridge_guide.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 116
The only thing I don't understand is why PSUD2 is seemingly inconsistent with the Sowter/Hammond design guides.
You probably have an unrealistic source resistance specified for the transformer in the model.
Just eyeballing it, I would expect the transformer to be closer 70 ohms. That makes your Rs/Rl ratio around 0.05 and the Irms/Idc ratio about 1.8. Not far off the typical figure of 1.5. http://valvewizard.co.uk/psu.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.