Tube Mic preamp with compressor - any ideas? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2015, 11:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Mic preamp with compressor - any ideas?

Hi there, I'm interested in making a microphone tube preamp that also has a built in limiter/compressor so there's little difference between loud and quiet sounds. Designing and making a tube preamp that can drive a relatively low-impedance input such as a computer's line-in is easy enough, I can pretty much do that in my sleep.

Trouble is I want to add a compressor to the preamp, but the only schematics I can find either require a LOT of tubes or have a very high output impedance meaning that I cannot connect it to most of the stuff I have.

I tried one schematic for a compressor (the one that's on the very left), but again this is one of the ones that has a ridiculously high output impedance and I couldn't get it to work anyway, I thought I could connect it to the output of my preamp but like I said it was a no-go. Also I've attached a schematic of my preamp.

Another compressor I found uses a pentode with what appears to have the third grid "modulated" to adjust the gain. What about that? Would that work?

So can anyone direct me to a schematic that can amplify a microphone, uses standard tubes that most tube nuts like my self would have (such as the ECC83/12AX7), has a built in limiter and has a reasonably low-impedance output (100k or less)?

any help on that would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OneTubeComp just the circuit.jpg (474.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: png mic preamp.png (17.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: gif Compressor.gif (3.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 7th April 2015, 01:42 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hint: The solution is just a cathode follower away...
Old 7th April 2015, 09:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

For the lowest tube count I would recommend using an opto resistor as the gain controlling element. There are plenty available with built in LEDs.

Here's a link to a two tube design:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeM...L/PMTCLsc.jpeg

Cheers

Ian
Old 7th April 2015, 12:30 PM   #4
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrecords View Post
For the lowest tube count I would recommend using an opto resistor as the gain controlling element. There are plenty available with built in LEDs.

Here's a link to a two tube design:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeM...L/PMTCLsc.jpeg
Nice diagram. Ambiguous penmanship! The cathode-bypass capacitor on the rightmost tube… is that 220 nF or 220 μF? could be that old 'μ' symbol, you know. … … granted which 95% of everyone have long given up using, but still.

GoatGuy
Five things matter in audio · LED underlit tubes, gold connectors bearing bright plastic ID bands, speaker cable thicker than your thumb, a hundred pounds of granite under the turntable, and those little spikey-things under the speakers.
Old 7th April 2015, 02:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
Nice diagram. Ambiguous penmanship! The cathode-bypass capacitor on the rightmost tube… is that 220 nF or 220 μF? could be that old 'μ' symbol, you know. … … granted which 95% of everyone have long given up using, but still.

GoatGuy
Ah, I see what you mean. You think my μ looks like a capital N - which would of course be quite wrong for nano-Farads.

Can't understand why engineers and electronics hobbyists would have given up using the μ for micro. Probably the advent of keyboards and business oriented software that made access to technical symbols such a chore.

Cheers

Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!