jensen vs mundorf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What type of power supply? Do you have a design in mind already?

Most of the time the circuit is more important then expensive components. I have seen too many 300B amps that don't look too impressive as far as topology goes but people love to stuff the most expensive parts they can find in them because they think it will help improve performance, which is very unlikely.

The schematic is pretty standard, with lots of big bux parts in there though. With auto bias as shown, I count five caps in the signal path. :D
Per channel.

It will give some hum on sensitive speakers, and damping factor won't be incredibly high. Not that the circuit is bad, it's just nothing special.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "reference" amp but to each their own.

I have been doing a lot of reading on DHT amps before I build one. The driver stage is very important!!! DC on the DHT filaments has been documented to reduce unwanted distortion artifacts.

I am not saying don't build it, just check out other options first. As far as the capacitors go, I don't know exactly where to find the datasheets for them:confused:

Why will people be interested in building a standard circuit, not bad, but then stuff it with the most expensive components they can find? Most of the commercial amplifiers that are recognized as the best sounding, are using ordinary components of decent quality. Can not understand the thinking, if something is good, then something 10 times more expensive is 10 times better, or if a value is sufficient, as in supply decoupling or coupling cap, 10 times the value is better...

I have learned one thing from an ex engineer at Rifa, a Swedish factory of high quality caps, that a good cap needs to have the foils tightly wound, to minimize interaction of applied voltages on the capacitance. Boutique caps are not wound tight enough, and therefore the capacitance varies with applied voltage. So no matter the price tag, or use of silver or any other expensive material in the foil, unless tightly wound, no good result. And a tight winded cap is small, not like the super expensive...

An Audiophool and his money is Easily Parted!!

Daft caps with huge price-tags, you can keep 'em,-- all Overpriced Crap IMHO....
Money can be better spent elsewhere--The Iron for instance, and a better basic design There's LOADS around for a 300B thats better than the one chosen IMO!....

Good Quality by a Recognised Industrial Cap maker (Vishay, Rifa Wima etc) is the way to go, leave the boutique caps to audiophools with more money than sense!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.