• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Two driver options for 300B push pull

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Backround: I lost from the 10 Svetlana 300B I got, 3-4 in the last couple of...

Nonsense !!!

For the last 16 years I have used only 2 pairs of = C = (not "S") Svetlana 300B with DC heating. DC heating is designed as a simple CVS for f + and ring-of-two CCS for f-.
I have never had any of the issues mentioned in the post above. But I ALWAYS used a Siemens medical power transformer for a very slow-turn-on.
I've written about this before in this forum, but I have to do it again. Sorry!

Well... i use Rod Coleman regs which are current limited, so yes softstart...

Out of 10, 4 died, but currently I got a quad which is now without trouble since approx. 9 months. All came from the same delivery. So, I would guess izs a production tolerance issue to be honest. You can be lucky or not.

Svetlana vs Winged C:
A group of us purchased our Svetlana 300B tubes years before any Winged C tubes came out.

JJ early, late, and late re-tested:
On a similar note, I used to hear about JJ tubes that died (maybe early ones did).
However, this is the new and better experience that I had:
I purchase all my JJ tubes from eurotubes.com in the US.
I just drive over and pick them up (but they sell on the web to US and some overseas).
Eurotubes re-tests all the JJ tubes after they arrive from Slovakia.
I know what testers they use, the kinds of tests they do, and I even worked with the designer of some of their test fixtures.
I have purchased from eurotubes.com . . . several types of JJ preamp and small signal tubes, and several types of JJ power output tubes. All of them are working really well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.