• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

History of RIAA standards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a pretty good record collection,some of the pressings from the mid 50's to the late 60's, and from what I understand, different labels had different EQ standards, would this explain one label sounding so much different than another? Case in point, I have a copy of Patsy Cline's greatest hits from Decca Records, and a digital download of the same. The vinyl doesn't sound near as good as the digital version, but I have a couple of vinyl pressings of the same time period different label, that sounds much better than the digital counter-part. Would differing EQ standards be the blame for this? Wouldn't a selective RIAA network solve this problem?

i have a pretty good record collection,some of the pressings from the mid 50's to the late 60's, and from what I understand, different labels had different EQ standards, would this explain one label sounding so much different than another? Case in point, I have a copy of Patsy Cline's greatest hits from Decca Records, and a digital download of the same. The vinyl doesn't sound near as good as the digital version, but I have a couple of vinyl pressings of the same time period different label, that sounds much better than the digital counter-part. Would differing EQ standards be the blame for this? Wouldn't a selective RIAA network solve this problem?

The Linear Audio website has some resources related to this and a fine article by Gary Gallo on doing all the classic equalizations in the analog domain. I hope to do the digital equivalent in the fall issue.

This might not be the right location/forum for your question, but recording pre-comp EQ is by no means the only factor in play.........master tape used, mastering decisions as to EQ and level, perhaps selective compression too play a huge part in outcome of vinyl sound. As indeed in any media. Hence the differences between any two masterings on any media.

This might not be the right location/forum for your question, but recording pre-comp EQ is by no means the only factor in play.........master tape used, mastering decisions as to EQ and level, perhaps selective compression too play a huge part in outcome of vinyl sound. As indeed in any media. Hence the differences between any two masterings on any media.

I wasn't sure which forum, I suppose the analogue forum, this may need to be moved, I'll leave it for the moderators, appreciate the heads-up though. Ill wait and see before I post any more.

Would differing EQ standards be the blame for this? Wouldn't a selective RIAA network solve this problem?

You seem to be using "RIAA" as shorthand for "equalization" but it doesn't mean that. RIAA is one well-defined equalization curve that hasn't changed (as far as cutting LPs is concerned) since its introduction in the mid-1950s. It became accepted as the international standard fairly quickly, so there can be no "selective" RIAA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.