• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

407A/B Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New to diyAudio. Been looking to build a preamp around some 407B tubes I have and have seen a few schematics that look interesting. My question is how do I power the filament on these tubes @20-40v when all I see is transformers that have 6.3 and 5V windings? Why did Western use these particular voltages? Was it to work with 48-52VDC talk battery in the central office? Are there transformers that provide 7.5, 10, etc.?

Trying to keep things all Western. I'd like to make a phono preamp that could work with my WE KS-16617-L1 monoblocks. The other possibility is somehow reworking the Low-Gain side to do the same (all in one package). The Low Gain isn't used and it uses 6BA6/12AT7s. I am trying to learn this as a hobbyist, while not ruining my amps. (Which sound splendid!!!!)

Just noticed you listed the 396A, really should wear my readers more!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.