How to use Russian tube 6H6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2004, 05:07 AM   #1
stonesu is offline stonesu  China
diyAudio Member

Question How to use Russian tube 6H6

Can I make a SE AMP with 6H6?
Old 29th January 2004, 12:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 6H6 is a double diode tube - designed for use as an audio demodulator and AVC control in old AM tube radios, and I cannot see where you would use it in a SE amp. They could be used in a clipping or volume compression circuit but not in an amp with any pretentions to fidelity I'd have thought...
Old 29th January 2004, 02:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Presumably he means the Russian 6N6 which is a double triode?
Old 27th March 2007, 11:02 AM   #4
stonesu is offline stonesu  China
diyAudio Member

Yes ,it is a double triode.
Old 27th March 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I came up with a novel use for the short metal 6H6 a while back. Install octal sockets, not wired, in the corners of the bottom plate of your amp and use 6H6`s as feet. You could also use `em as control knobs. Run the filaments and they could be comfortable heated control knobs.

actually a 6H6 (or a miniature glass 6AL5) could be used to create a time delay pulling a B+ activation relay (or an SCR) once the thermionic diode reaches a conductive state.
Old 27th March 2007, 03:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Cyrillic 6H6 looks: 6X6
I did not see short metal versions, I saw 6X6S in glass envelopes. When I was a kid I used them in New Year tree lights (in series with relay, filament powered from 220W through 1 uF foil in oil capacitor). Switching on relay disconnected filament so few seconds later the cycle starts again.
However it could be used in delay relays for B+, but I always did not understand why it is needed, except in kilowatt transmitters...

Cyrillic 6N6 looks exactly: 6H6.
But since it is in 9 pin glass envelope, it has P at the end (Pi), sop it is 6N6Pi.

Good double triode, and yes, it may be used in small output stage as well. When I was a teenager I used it in a driver stage of a guitar amp.
Old 27th March 2007, 05:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
F**k!

I hate the confusion with Russian tube names. I use the Russian codes as they are pronounced. Like 6S33S (written 6C33C) or 6R3S (written 6P3C) as it would be very confusing for Russians if I tried to order a tube with wrong "name".

There's, and that was the idea of the thread, a tube called 6N6P. Is that the same as 6N6?
6N6P is equivalent for 12DW7 I think, or E182CC (a rather powerful tube good for driver - 4W/cathode).
Old 27th March 2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-22691.html
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Russ...he_Roehren.htm
Old 28th March 2007, 02:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

They're as cute as a button, that's for sure.
On the other hand I have a few of these little acorn tubes, VT-120 and CTL-956, with a pin on the top, bottom, and 5 on the side.
What were they thinking when they invented these,? and what are they good for, not to mention the weird socket/connections they must have had ! Very tiny for the dates (Army/Navy, 1944, I have the little boxes they came in too)
Old 28th March 2007, 07:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frank754
They're as cute as a button, that's for sure.
On the other hand I have a few of these little acorn tubes, VT-120 and CTL-956, with a pin on the top, bottom, and 5 on the side.
What were they thinking when they invented these,?
Minimizing lead inductance. They do something very similar with UHF transistors.

Quote:
and what are they good for, not to mention the weird socket/connections they must have had ! Very tiny for the dates (Army/Navy, 1944, I have the little boxes they came in too)
Those are UHF, small signal tubes used for making RF preamps, LOs, and mixers. Some even have some pretty decent audio characteristics and can be used for some funkey-looking audio preamps as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!