• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Volume drops and then comes back - anyone recognizes the sympthom?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3 easy things you could/should do to help people trying to help:

1. Clean all accessible contacts (also power plug and speaker plug - and yes, the fuse holder, too) and see if that helps. Any traces of carbon (arcing) on output tube sockets?

2. Probably too obvious, but did you try a new set of tubes? I had the weirdest behaviors from bad output tubes.

3. Once the problem does come back move all pots (especially volume pots). I had once a bad contact in a pot that surprisingly did not make scratching noises. Just intermittent open wiper.

Other than that, recapping seems like a good idea anyway (as already recommended by several experts here).

Best,
Martin

I had a very intermittent problem with a McIntosh C2200 that about once every two weeks (40-80 hours of use) the right channel would stop working, including the meter. I was getting annoyed because I would take it apart and poke and prod for hours and nothing would happen, I would leave it on with music playing open for hours (sometimes 48 hours straight) with no issues. Then I would button it back up and a week later it would happen while listening to music. I was going to start replacing things but some guys on here talked me out of it, they said find the problem no matter what, I am glad I did. I left it open for a couple weeks and used it for a headphone amp at night, finally it happened (I think it was like 3am) it broke while it was open and hooked up to test equipment, this was good because I didn't have to move it or shut it down because the fault would go away when I did that. It stayed broken long enough for me to track it back to the digital stereo volume control IC. Man what a pain in the but that was to figure out because of how intermittent the problem was. I replaced it with a PGA2311 made by Texas Instruments and the preamp has been running great ever since:)

Moral of the story...........don't give up and be persistent and you'll figure it out. Good Luck!

I just had a friend's PA amp on the bench with just this problem. Works fine for half and hour then the sound disappears. Turn it off and then on again and it goes for a few more minutes. Spent ages thinking about things heating up, checking PSU voltages and so on.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it turned out to be a dirty jack socket. Cleaning the contacts with emery paper has completely cured it.

Cheers

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.