• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quicksilver 6550A's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I purchased a quad of NOS GE 6550A's for a very decent price and am wondering if these tubes will function in my Quicksilver KT88 monoblocks ok?

I have 2 Genelex KT88's and am searching for another pair at a decent price and until I find them at a decent price.....(hell still isn't cold enough), I thought I'd try the GE 6550A's.

My amps currently have stock Quicksilver KT88's (Chinese) which are ok, but nothing to brag about.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Peter

p.s. why are most NOS 6DJ8's noisy as hell??!!!!!!:mad:

Burned,
My amps are KT88 monoblocks using a 12FQ7 in the front end. My pre-amp on the other hand (Counterpoint SA-1000 with a few mods) uses a 6DJ8 buffer, which depending on the tube can really change the tone of the pre-amp.

I have quite a few NOS 6DJ8's, Amperex (White label, Orange, Bugle Boy, and for good luck a Bugle Boy w/ a "D" style getter, Siemens, and a few other. Haven't tried new production tubes, but I'm about to as alot of the NOS tubes are noisy even though they test good. I currently am using a Philips 6DJ8 and am quite happy with its performance.

What do you recommend biasing the 6550As at? I biased my KT88's at 57.5ma/per tube, but thought I would run the 6550A's at 55ma? I have seperate bias pots for each tube (after the fact mod).

Attachments

• kt88.jpg
    kt88.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 290
Peter

The separate bias is a nice touch especially if the tubes aren't matched perfectly. The difference sonically between 55mA and 57.5 mA will be zilch. The tubes will last longer at 110-115 per pair than at higher bias. With a distortion analyzer I was unable to see any difference between the 110 and the 125(per pair bias). Personally I believe the 6550's lose a little on the low end but more than make up for it the midrange detail.

J

Do you happen to have a hand drawn schematic for your KT88's? Mine used the 12BH7 for both tubes on the front end. I contacted Quicksilver only to be told that he didn't have a schematic for my version and it was special. I drew up a schematic for it and if I can dig it out will repost it otherwise I believe it is on a prior Quicksilver post.

j

Okay at the bench- with my switchable B+ homemade amp. I'm running at 485V B+ using parallel P-P UL 2,25K A-A with 6550B's, just squeezing 135W per ch. Tubes reasonably well matched give excellent AB1 performance. I find 6550's give lowest THD at app 65mA/quies/ tube.
Another interesting situation occurs at reduced B+ of 250V using same circuit but 95mA quies /tube. At reduced Pout of 25W, Anode current =100mA per tube n'st damm it class A.
THD in both power cases well below 0.1% at 1dB below clip with 20dB fb..

enclosed excel graph..I hope this comes through.....my machine isn't the best to use..for attachments....

rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.