• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which Tube amplifier should I build first?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I am thinking to build a tube amplifier. I am comfortable in the electronic works, but not in the tube world. I also dont want to spend to much money for the first tube amplifier. Could you suggest some schematics which you would recommend for me. What I am looking for, nice sound, cheap tubes and transformers.

Thanks!

With such low speaker sensitivity, a typical single-ended amplifier can be crossed off the list, unless you're comfortable working with over 700v and build a single ended transmitter tube such as 813.

I would suggest a push-pull amp with something above 15W. Those that come to mind are:
- Pete Millet's Engineer's amplifier
- Baby Huey EL84
You can do a google search for these amps.

Others will surely have other suggestions.

I guess you can easily find soviet tubes from Hungary.
Therefore I recommend a simple SE-amplifier with one 6N9S (6SL7) as voltage amplifier and two TV sweep tubes 6P41S or 6P31S. These two work identically in the below circuits.
The output transformer can be Indel TGL 20/001 or TGL 5/001.
You will get some 4...5 watts with the UL-connected version, which is absolutely sufficient power for normal home listening.
The triode connected version gives some 3 watts.

TGL 20/001 INDEL - Transformer: speaker | TME - Electronic components

TGL 5/001 INDEL - Transformer: speaker | TME - Electronic components

Attachments

• 6P41S_6N9S_SE.JPG
    6P41S_6N9S_SE.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 6P31S_6N9S_SE.GIF
    6P31S_6N9S_SE.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
I disagree with the assessment that a few watts will do. Paul Joppa has provided us with a useful rule of thumb, which states an amp/speaker combo should be capable of 102 dB. SPL peaks at a 1 M. distance in an "average" sized listening space. Applying Joppa's Rule to that 88 dB. figure suggests that upwards of 30 WPC is appropriate.

Before the OP spends a considerable amount of money only to be disappointed, he should provide additional info. about the speakers. There are several reasons for derating speakers that are to be mated with tubed power amplification. What is the nominal impedance of the speakers? What is the exact sensitivity specification of the speakers? Do the speakers have significant dips in the impedance curve?

BTW, high PIV Schottky diodes are every bit as quiet as vacuum rectifiers. Therefore, I see no good reason for employing vacuum rectification in a new power amp build.

Single ended is probably out of the question due to the sensitivity of your speakers, you can get powerful single ended amplifiers but the iron is really expensive.

I recommend the Mullard 5-20, no silicon in the amp and it's easy to build with good performance. Don't let the 20 watt rating fool you, it puts out more power than that, the 20 watt rating is just so they can boast a low THD% spec.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.