Valve amp with Dynaudio? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2004, 12:22 PM   #1
penance is offline penance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Valve amp with Dynaudio?

Hi

I would like to get a valve, or build a kit more so.

Currently i have Dynaudio contour 1.1 speakers, the spec on the website says -
Sensitivity (2.83 V/1 m): 86 dB

Would i have difficulty driving my speakers with a valve amp, they do seem very power hungry
Old 26th January 2004, 10:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Would i have difficulty driving my speakers with a valve amp, they do seem very power hungry
Much will depend on the size of the room the speakers are in but I feel a decent 20 Watt tube PP amp will play plenty loud.

Cheers,
Old 27th January 2004, 04:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Penance,
Like Frank said it does depend on your listening room size and your listening level.
Tubes amps are mostly about quality rather than quantity. While you will get great quality you might not get ear shattering listening levels. That does not mean there are no high powered tube amps around.
You should get pretty good listening levels with 20 watts . That means you are possibly entering pushpull territory. Do SE's sound better than PP ? I am not sure and some people prefer the PP.
The only way you can be sure is if you try one. Try to go over to a friend's house or borrow a SE and a PP amp and listen for yourself. SE's are inherently class A and possibly have an edge over the others.

I would say get an amp that sounds great in the mids and HF. Then crossover to a sub below say 70 Hz.
I might suggest a 10 watt SE for the Contour's and a 50 watt ( or more) sub.

Take your speaker over to a SE amp dealer and try it out. The addition of a sub will make a huge difference to the "available power" of the system. On the other hand you might not even need one for average listening levels. "Try it out ". There is no other way. If it sounds great - search for the best SE kit on the web.

My old 86db/watt Celestion's go pretty loud with a 10 watt SS amp. With a 10 watt SE it would be even louder !.
Have fun.
Cheers.
Ashok.
Old 27th January 2004, 05:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have listened to the 1.1 on a 300B SE amp and surprisingly it played rather well. These speakers appear to be a difficult load for transistors but not for zero feedback tubes.
Old 27th January 2004, 06:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

There you go ..........

analog_sa : " I have listened to the 1.1 on a 300B SE amp and surprisingly it played rather well. "

Now it just boils down to going ahead and picking your SE kit or doing a last test with a SE in your area to confirm that you like it also.
Cheers.
Ashok.
Old 27th January 2004, 08:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for the replies.
I have a chance of trying it out with a WAD 2A3 PSE, and ive been looking at the WAD KAT6550, ithink this is a PP design.

Im confused over PP and SE, i thought PP would have more drive, but in all honesty i dont really know....
Old 27th January 2004, 09:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Im confused over PP and SE, i thought PP would have more drive, but in all honesty i dont really know....
No easy answers here. It all depends on output impedance, presence of NFB etc. There is no reason why a SE and especially PSE won't be able to drive as well as a PP. The absence of NFB means higher output impedance but otoh makes the amp impervious to crossover reactance.
Old 27th January 2004, 12:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Ive been trying to find more detail on the WAD, but no luck.

I may try and get to WAD for a demo, but they are a fair way from me, and i dont fancy carrying speakers on my bike

Hide this!Advertise here!