Is there any good current Production 6550s? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2015, 01:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is there any good current Production 6550s?

Just curious....Already have some strong mid 60s-early 70s not sure no date codes...Tung-sol 3 holers/grey plates....and yes they are amazing sounding imo....They have that BIG Stereo like Haunting Realism/ resolution/imaging/Decay/ "Vowel" like clean/clear/extension like etc I mean its scary how good they sound haha....and harmonic content is just out of this world.... unbelievable....
Old 26th January 2015, 02:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The "reissue" made by New Sensor at Saratov, Russia, is supposed to be decent and then some. The OS originals will be hard to equal, but the "noises" are hear about the "reissues" are favorable.
Old 26th January 2015, 03:00 AM   #3
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

i used a quad of new production Tung-sol 6550's in a recent build and the owner was all smiles.....
Old 26th January 2015, 07:25 AM   #4
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

I think your mileage will vary even with the same make of new production tubes...
To get satisfactory performance from new production tubes, you will need careful screening... Not only matched, but matched with a high gm .... need to look at the screen current and input grid leakage currents ...

Chris
Old 26th January 2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Tfan69 is offline Tfan69  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'm very pleased with JJ's new 6550
Old 27th January 2015, 05:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah I was looking at some JJs.....I have some of their E34Ls they are just ok though old Tung-sols smoke **** out of them pretty much, So much more Bass/clearer/that noticeable wider liquid like extension/Musical resolution/decay to the sound. I also was looking at the Russian- TS reissues but been hearing about some bad quality issues/failures...Not that I need any anytime soon but just be nice to try something else....Well that and the old Tung-Sol 6550s to me sound something closer to a bigger EL34...like more KT66/KT88 like etc....where as like the GE 6550s/Sylvanias sound more like just a big 6l6.

Last edited by AudioFreak88; 27th January 2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:41 PM   #7
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreak88 View Post
Yeah I was looking at some JJs.....I have some of their E34Ls they are just ok though old Tung-sols smoke **** out of them pretty much, So much more Bass/clearer/that noticeable wider liquid like extension/Musical resolution/decay to the sound. I also was looking at the Russian- TS reissues but been hearing about some bad quality issues/failures...Not that I need any anytime soon but just be nice to try something else....Well that and the old Tung-Sol 6550s to me sound something closer to a bigger EL34...like more KT66/KT88 like etc....where as like the GE 6550s/Sylvanias sound more like just a big 6l6.
Have you tried the NOS Sylvania big bottle 6CA7 tubes ??... I have a feeling that you may like them....The moden production GT re-issues of these tubes are not to bad ....

Chris

Last edited by cerrem; 27th January 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 27th January 2015, 11:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrem View Post
Have you tried the NOS Sylvania big bottle 6CA7 tubes ??... I have a feeling that you may like them....The moden production GT re-issues of these tubes are not to bad ....

Chris
Yeah thought about them 6CA7s too.....not sure if I would want to pay those ridiculous prices for some though....supposedly the JJ 6CA7s are not bad, heard the EH have problems though....

Never tried any but what something closer to in-between a 6550 and an EL34/6l6?....Problem with El34s I kinda never liked was just kinda lacking low end....don't have that thunderous bass response like 6550s...and don't come off as having/being that wider response/extension....

Last edited by AudioFreak88; 27th January 2015 at 11:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!