• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is there any good current Production 6550s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious....Already have some strong mid 60s-early 70s not sure no date codes...Tung-sol 3 holers/grey plates....and yes they are amazing sounding imo....They have that BIG Stereo like Haunting Realism/ resolution/imaging/Decay/ "Vowel" like clean/clear/extension like etc I mean its scary how good they sound haha....and harmonic content is just out of this world.... unbelievable....

Yeah I was looking at some JJs.....I have some of their E34Ls they are just ok though old Tung-sols smoke **** out of them pretty much, So much more Bass/clearer/that noticeable wider liquid like extension/Musical resolution/decay to the sound. I also was looking at the Russian- TS reissues but been hearing about some bad quality issues/failures...Not that I need any anytime soon but just be nice to try something else....Well that and the old Tung-Sol 6550s to me sound something closer to a bigger EL34...like more KT66/KT88 like etc....where as like the GE 6550s/Sylvanias sound more like just a big 6l6.

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking at some JJs.....I have some of their E34Ls they are just ok though old Tung-sols smoke **** out of them pretty much, So much more Bass/clearer/that noticeable wider liquid like extension/Musical resolution/decay to the sound. I also was looking at the Russian- TS reissues but been hearing about some bad quality issues/failures...Not that I need any anytime soon but just be nice to try something else....Well that and the old Tung-Sol 6550s to me sound something closer to a bigger EL34...like more KT66/KT88 like etc....where as like the GE 6550s/Sylvanias sound more like just a big 6l6.

Have you tried the NOS Sylvania big bottle 6CA7 tubes ??... I have a feeling that you may like them....The moden production GT re-issues of these tubes are not to bad ....

Chris

Last edited:
Have you tried the NOS Sylvania big bottle 6CA7 tubes ??... I have a feeling that you may like them....The moden production GT re-issues of these tubes are not to bad ....

Chris

Yeah thought about them 6CA7s too.....not sure if I would want to pay those ridiculous prices for some though....supposedly the JJ 6CA7s are not bad, heard the EH have problems though....

Never tried any but what something closer to in-between a 6550 and an EL34/6l6?....Problem with El34s I kinda never liked was just kinda lacking low end....don't have that thunderous bass response like 6550s...and don't come off as having/being that wider response/extension....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.