• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

UK info please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys I'm going to get my 300b upgraded by the builder either change to mono's or just upgrade the amp, I also want to put it into a nice wooden chassis with a 3mm copper top plate. Anyone in UK or EU supply and cnc cut or punch the copper? Also looking for cnc in exotic wood and acrylic. All suggestions or links appreciated. I have a picture in my head and it looks stunning!
Ron

Last edited:
Need a top plate for the amp ( or 2 if going mono blocks) so need it cut to size with various cut outs for valves and trannies plus counter sunk screw holes. Can do a cad drawing or give a sample plate made from thin steel. Need the cuts to be very clean, think copper is a bugger to laser without special machine?

I have it all in my head at the mo, need to get drawing. I'm off work at present with back problems, total agony and drugged up to my nuts but will know what I need when I get together with the amp designer when I'm well enough to move.
Thanks a million Karl, think you could be my one stop solution mate.

Cool beans. Yeah I imagine copper would be a **** to laser. Aluminium isn't great to laser either as it reflects a lot of heat back at the cutting head and wears them out quickly.

I'm really interested to see what you get done. I really would love a pair of nice mono block valve amps myself. Really I would like to make some but unless I had a 100% complete and tested design to follow along with suppliers for all parts I think I would just get in a muddle.

Need a top plate for the amp ( or 2 if going mono blocks) so need it cut to size with various cut outs for valves and trannies plus counter sunk screw holes. Can do a cad drawing or give a sample plate made from thin steel. Need the cuts to be very clean, think copper is a bugger to laser without special machine?

I've built a couple of copper amps. It's a soft metal and easy to machine, but it's very easily scratched. If you want it to stay shiny, you'll have to coat it with lacquer after polishing. I found it necessary to use bracing under the transformers to prevent the weight from causing the copper to sag. 3mm is pretty thin for countersunk screws.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.