• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Telefunken Magnetophon 104 - Keep or strip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title says really... I have a Telefunken Magnetophon 104 in working order, but I have no use for it and it's taking up room. I was thinking of making a guitar amp from the parts, but I don't have the knowledge, time or money to put into it.

However, it contains the original Telefunken 12AX7, EM84, EL95, EF86 which all have the diamond mark at the base. Would these be worth much to sell individually, since they aren't NOS? I have no 'calibrated' way of testing them, apart from knowing they work...

I hail from the UK if that helps.

Switch the TFK 83 and 86 for cheaper ones. and sell the thing. breaking it down for parts is just bad.

I do the same thing whit my Tektronix 500 series, I tend to replace the tubes that are valuable whit less valuable ones, this helps me recoup the price I paid for the instument. This hardly seems to influence performance, because why on earth Would the voltage regulator require a smoothplate telefunken ecc83 worth more than the instrument, when it will work satisfactory even whit an ECC81?

I'm not willing to travel or post to Germany ;)

I picked it up for free so anything I do with it is profit, but I don't want to sink money/time into researching and replacing valves for other types. It does seem a shame to strip it, it's built like a tank (Insert German WWII tank joke here?) and everything works. I just think it would be worth more to sell the valves and maybe the transformers and sent the rest to the tip but I might be wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.