• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke loaded 6ax4 bridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building the 6v6 preamp by Salas for the 3rd time and would like to try this configuration that is endorsed by both Thomas Meyer and Lynn Olsen. I have played around quite a bit with PSUD in an attempt to understand how to best implement this idea. In his blog, Thomas shows the 6ax4 bridge loaded with a 10H, 40uF, 10H, 40uF with bleeder resistor. Sims support the need for 100-120V of headroom due to voltage drop across the tubes. This is not a problem as the transformer can be made to order. The problem I am having is getting rid of the ringing. I need 350-360VSSH at 100mA to feed two SSHV2's for the two channels. Thanks for your help.

For whatever reason, screen print will not work unless Dropbox pics it up. I'll repost raw pic when I get back to the computer.

Of course, adding and RC stage in front of the choke, makes for a pretty graph, but I wanted to investigate the magic behind pure choke loaded rectifiers. Perhaps it raises another question. What are the benefits of a choke input vs pi filter.

Sim

Here it is. Second shot shows difference as a result of loading the second choke with much higher capacitance. Smooths is out a bit, but still have overshoot. Last one is with RC in front. With RC use, transformer is over spec'd

Attachments

• 6ax4 bridge.png
    6ax4 bridge.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 6ax4-v2.png
    6ax4-v2.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 6ax4-v3.png
    6ax4-v3.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
I find what usually works well for me with choke input is big choke - small cap - smaller choke - big cap in an LCLC. Too low series resistance also leads to overshoot and ringing in my experience. You could try a choke with a bit higher DCR and see what happens.

I am using the SSHv2 for a regulator and want to keep that, so ill have to try one of the others. I assume that since you did not include adding series resistance as an option, you do not think this is a good idea. That would seem to leave only the snubber option, as i see no point in using lower quality chokes, but perhaps this is improper thinking.

A low quality choke is likely to be cheaper, smaller, and lighter than a high quality choke in series with a power resistor.

As a first rough estimate of the resistance you need to do effective damping just calculate sqrt(L/C). The ringing frequency will be roughly 1/(2 pi sqrt(LC) ). Interactions between components, and the switching of the rectifier diodes, mean that these are only estimates but they will give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

Note that the second try above (with the 160uF smoother) probably doesn't change the ringing in the first stage but just acts as a low pass filter so the output sees less of it.

I already have the Lundahl chokes, so I would like to use them. You are correct that adding a much larger second cap only improves the resutls across the CC source on theouput. C1 is still ringing like a bell.

l must admit i do not understand the use of this arrangement in this PSU. I guess it is safe to assume that he is either having his transformers wound custom to prevent ringing or is accepting it.

Attachments

• 6CB5A-PSU-Graetz-6AX4.jpg
    6CB5A-PSU-Graetz-6AX4.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 249
Hi!

I assume that you are talking about me, when you write 'he'.
Maybe instead of running simulations it would be better to actually build things and see the real life behaviour.

You are looking at the circuit out of context. In my designs they are always followed by another LC stage

- I am not using the same chokes you are using
- still you will not see that ringing in the actual circuit
- turn on the soft start option to emulate the warm up behaviour of the 6AX4

Best regards

Thomas

Last edited:
Hi!

The tubes will not conduct instantly, they have about 30sec warm up time and will start to conduct gradually. This can be emulated by activating the soft start option in PSUD.

The example you picked is meant for power amps. Maybe not the best choice for a preamp supply. Also if you use a regulator, maybe you don't need LCLC.

But if you have the parts on hand. why not build it and see what it does.

Best regards

Thomas

I had originally intended a single LC circuit with true dual mono set, but reconsidered when i saw your psu arrangement. I must admit that after seeing the filtering ability of the LCLC circuit, i questioned whether or not the shunt was necessary. It is within reason to test both ways. As for unnecessary, this is DIY:), that being said, i want what will be beneficial. I am not just a measuremtns guy and enjoy subjective impressions as well. Perfect audiophile material:)

Thank you Thomas. You are correct. I did not consider the slow ramp of the rectifier tube. I normally just build something, but being the first time using choke input, I was unsure and wanted to sim a wee bit first. Still a little overshoot, but this make me comfrtable with trying.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    69.2 KB · Views: 193
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.