• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

want to diy a tube preamp using only 12 volts help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
maybe you can try this dc-dc converter schematic
i have tried to boost from 14 to 200v DC.

sorry i cannot say about its performance because i don't have time to continue improving the circuit

you can see the picture on my blog here (in bahasa indonesia)

Attachments

• res-dc-dc.png
    res-dc-dc.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 502
I have seen tube guitar pedal and some design using 12V. The input impedance becomes very low. People need to have transistor to drive it for guitar. Also, the voltage swing is very small, that leads me to think the distortion will be quite high.

Why even want to design LV tube preamp? Why even want to re-invent the wheel of a 12V to 110V converter. You can buy off the shelf converter like the one I put the link in post #2. Then spend the effort to design a nice preamp using 110VAC that you can use at home or in the car!!!

...it is possible to diy a stereo tube amp power by automotive battery?anyone can help with schmatic?
thanks

Yes it is, but the available signal level is just some 1.5 Vrms max.

I studied these circuits once and according to my notes the attached circuit worked well.
This kind of circuit needs to be adjusted individually to proper operating point.
There is 1M trimmer resistor at the gate of the 1st tube.
Adjust the cathode voltage of the 2nd tube to 6 V with this trimmer.
That's all the tuning it requires.
The load should be a 50 k volume potentiometer, not smaller.
The signal source should be have low output impedance, but this is not a problem, because today most equipment has.

Attachments

• 6N6P_12VDC.JPG
    6N6P_12VDC.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
I would suggest ditching the 12V battery idea altogether . 12V is not a tube-friendly voltage , this is too low even for the ECC86 . You can use some valves at low voltages such as triode connected 3S4 and 958A , but you will need at least 50V .

316a

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
You could use a nixie driver board..

Or have a go at a converter..one of the problems with a battery is the cathode heater voltage difference.
I use a DC to DC converter to isolate the heaters from the DC supply so an Aikido might not be the way to go..YMMV

If you were using low voltage AC you could transform..however your using a battery..the other way is to use a chopper circuit..
(Like the old car radios)

I built a project for fun using only DC as an input..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/177844-strip-board-project-completed.html

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
You can build a tube preamp that will work very well with only 12V HT. In the very early days of transistors, they could only make low frequency transistors cheaply. So car radios went through a transition period, when they were hybrids - part tube and part transistor.

Classic tube car radios used a vibrator - a sort of self oscillating relay to chop up the 12V DC into AC, which was stepped up by transformer to 250V AC for HT. The vibrators, as they had moving contact points, were fault prone. When the early germanium power transistors were developed, but before cheap RF transistors were possible, car radios were made with a transistor audio amp and transistor power output stage, and no vibrator or 12 to 250V transformer. A special line of RF vacuum tubes were developed designed to work with 12 V on the anodes. A special "space charge" grid was included between the cathode and the control grid, to pre-accelerate electrons before the control grid, so a reasonable anode current was drawn with only 12V available. The space charge grid was internally strapped to the screen grid. 12V HT audio "triodes" were made as well - they are actually tetrodes because of the space charge grid.

You can still find these car radio tubes on ebay. Types include 12AD6, 12CX6, 12AF6. etc. There was quite a range of them. Google "12V car radio tubes" and you'll get sites that list the type numbers and data. Gm with these tubes on 12V HT is much the same as for normal tubes on 200 V HT, but the anode impedances are much lower. You could even make a power amp with 12V HT, but as no tubes were designed to be power output tubes on 12V, you'll need an awful lot of tubes in parallel just to get a 100 mW or so of audio.

For an audio preamp, choose 12V HT car radio sharp cutoff pentodes or "triodes" to taste, and use a completely conventional circuit, but with 12 V HT. Most of these 12V car radio tubes have a maximum screen and anode voltage rating of 30V. Some were rated at 16V max. If you make a small power amp, they'll produce a lot more power on 30V than on 12V.

Incidentally, before transistors, most electronics manufactuers of note made portable public address amplifiers designed to run off a 12V car battery. These used conventional tubes with teh 250 V HT generated by means of one or two car radio vibrators. You can stiil, find these vibrators on ebay too. These amp were limitted to 5 W output if one vibrator, used, 10W if two vibrators used, or about 20 to 25 W if two vibrators were used with a Class B push pull output stage.

Last edited:
...You can use some valves at low voltages such as triode connected 3S4 and 958A , but you will need at least 50V .

This is a false assumption.
You can use many typical triodes such as ECC82, ECC88, ECC81 etc. with 12 V supply voltage, but with the limited signal level and low input impedance (some k-ohms) due to grid current required to drive the tube .
This requires that the tube must be biased with positive grid voltage to proper operating point.
During my tests I achieved 1 Vrms output level with 0.3 % THD at best.

Ofcourse the vacuum tubes are not designed for such low +Ub, but they work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.