• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

voltage regulators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think is a good idea to keep it all tube. For low current applications, the filamentless 0A2 (150v, Imax 35ma) and 0B2 (108v, same Imax) are easy to start with. And the purple glow is just wonderful! ^^
You can also put them in series for different voltages. They are used as shunt regulators after the B+ is rectified and filtered, with a resistor just before to set the voltage drop (from the current draw of the regulator tube plus the audio circuit).
They need a little higher voltage to 'strike' or start up, 185v for 0A2 and 133v for 0B2, so make sure that the transformer delivers at least this much HV.
What tubes are in your phono amp?
Russ Sadd's homepage is apparently down for now, but I think he used to have a very good walkthrough on regulated tube supplys.
Good luck!

I have read Steve Bench articles.They're very nice.
Maybe I'll build something from his ideas.
In part 3 has a very good design.
About the tubes in phono I haven't decided yet.
I'm thinking to use ECC82-81 in SRPP configuration.
Two srpp and the riaa filter in the middle.A classic design.
An other idea is with 5692 (if I remember right).
I saw a design in audioXpress magazine.
If anyone has a good schem in mind is acceptable.
The line stage will be with the 12B4A.One triode per channel.I have build it in an experimental mode and I'm listening with it in my system right now and I'm very satisfied.

Hi

jackinnj,very nice article and nice site.
About the ARRL handbook if there's somewhere in the net that can supply it,I want it,too.

marz.tv ,I think Bob Danielak's phono it's pretty good.
Maybe I'll try it.I'd like to see some more schems and choose the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.