Question about CCS used in Morgan Jones' book. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2014, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question about CCS used in Morgan Jones' book.

I have issue with Morgan Jones' book page 135 to 139 talking about the way he use CCS. This is really a question for SS people. But I can't count on the SS people have this book. So I post it here first.

1) More specifically Fig 2.49 and Fig. 2.51. As a former analog IC designer, you cannot use current source as load like as drawn. Current source has very high impedance, you cannot try to balance the plate voltage to the voltage he want by matching the top and bottom CCS like he want. Every slight mismatch of current between the top and bottom CCS will cause the plate voltage either go to the top rail or the lowest point the plate can go. You can only establish the quiescent voltage of the plate by local NFB.

2) in page 139 about choosing BJT. That is questionable. Output impedance of BJT can be found simply by looking at the collector curve and Rout=d(Ic)/d(Vce). Most common BJT will have output impedance over 1Mohm. The ones I use can have output impedance to 10Mohm and I used it in my designs. Yes, he is correct you get even higher output impedance using cascode, but I don't think it's necessary. BUT problem with 1) is the killer. It will not work.

I think the way to get high impedance is using mu or Beta follower instead of this.

Please confirm.

Last edited by Alan0354; 2nd December 2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:02 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
BUT problem with 1) is the killer. It will not work.

Please confirm.
I confirm that it does work. And extremely well. You may want to look at triode curves and put a horizontal load line on them. Consider as well the stiffness of the cascode vs. the single BJT CCS.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I confirm that it does work. And extremely well.
I just don't see it. It is a bad practice to do it like this. As I said, BJT CCS have output impedance into mega ohms. Any slight imbalance between the top and bottom CCS will swing the plate to the rail. You might be able to tweak the CCS to try to balance it, but it's not going to be stable, just temperature change can upset the balance.

This is a very fundamental building block in analog IC design. Any internal circuit of opamp uses plenty of this. It is well documented. Nobody try to balance the voltage by adjusting top and bottom CCS like this without NFB.

EDIT:

From looking at the triode curve, you might be able to make Fig.2.51 work as the cathode uses a zener. But there is no way Fig.2.49 work. The tail current is controlled by the bottom CCS, the triode curve cannot affect the current. Then you have to balance the top and bottom. Even if you can balanced, you still have to concern with balance between the two triodes.

Last edited by Alan0354; 2nd December 2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1) More specifically Fig 2.49 and Fig. 2.51.
You mean the 3rd edition? It seems to be fig 2.54 in the 4th edition.

Quote:
As a former analog IC designer, you cannot use current source as load like as drawn. Current source has very high impedance,
The idea is the the two anode sources are 'soft current sources'. Their internal impedance is not nearly as high as the tail CCS, so they have enough compliance to work. The internal impadances of these sources is considerably reduced due to the dynamic resistance of the diode/zener voltage sources. (Though I agree, thee CCSs give me the willies, even if two of them are soft!)

Quote:
Most common BJT will have output impedance over 1Mohm. The ones I use can have output impedance to 10Mohm and I used it in my designs.
Not sure how you figure that... The rout of a BJT is not likely to be more than a couple of hundred kilohms at typical valve operating currents.

Last edited by Merlinb; 2nd December 2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From looking at the triode curve, you might be able to make Fig.2.51 work as the cathode uses a zener.
Yes, fig. 2.51 (3rd ed) certainly works; it's a very ordinary application of the CCS. It would not work reliably if the triode was replaced with a pentode or transistor, which may be what is misleading you. Triodes have very low internal resistance.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have the fourth edition; in it the page numbers are 143-146 and the Figure numbers are 2.54 and 2.56. The fourth edition includes this "smoking gun" on p. 144:
At first sight, the circuit has two constant current sources, both trying to define the current in the same wire. The trick is that the cathode CCS is deliberately superior to the anode constant current sources, enabling it to enforce its behaviour upon them.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
Yes, fig. 2.51 (3rd ed) certainly works; it's a very ordinary application of the CCS. It would not work reliably if the triode was replaced with a pentode or transistor, which may be what is misleading you. Triodes have very low internal resistance.
Yes, I am using the 3rd edition.

Yes, that's what I miss is the triode has low internal impedance for Fig. 2.51 as the plate voltage can modulate the plate current. But that still present problem in Fig. 2.49. In Fig. 2.49, the current is set by the bottom CCS, not by the triode.

But the output impedance of BJT looking into the collector is very high. The collector curve is almost flat because the early voltage is very high. Rout= d(Ic)/d(Vce). I did the calculation before with one transistor, it is way over 1M.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But the output impedance of BJT looking into the collector is very high. The collector curve is almost flat because the early voltage is very high.
The Early voltage is not that high, typically 50V to 200V. For example, when operating at a collector current of 1mA you probably wouldn't get better than 200V/1mA = 200k ohms. And that's optimistic.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Alan,
My experience with the Baby Huey design was that the cascode CCS gave noticable AUDIBLE improvement over the single transistor CCS when used in the "tail" of a differential amp.
As Merlin says above, any single transistor based CCS will have its impedance limited by Early Effect to not more than a few hundred KOhms at best. I recall I calculated (from circuit measurements) the effective impedance of the LED referenced single transistor CCS that I initially used and got 130 KOhms. Changing to a cascode gave superior smoothness in the top end.
Once you get the impedance of any CCS above about 100K then you need to start worrying about device (and stray) capacitance. The cascode will help with that too, AND it is the reason I don't like LM317 and similar based CCS.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
The Early voltage is not that high, typically 50V to 200V. For example, when operating at a collector current of 1mA you probably wouldn't get better than 200V/1mA = 200k ohms. And that's optimistic.
Yes, I double checked, I use 50K emitter resistor in the CCS in my design, that's the reason I got such a high output impedance. Yes, you are right, with lower emitter resistor like 1K, you only get about 200K or so.

The question still remain in Fig. 2.49, That you have CCS in both top and bottom. How can you determine the quiescent voltage of the plate. The bottom CCS control the current, not the triode. This is different from Fig. 2.51 that the triode can move the plate voltage to have plate current matching the CCS on top.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!