• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Innovation 800 mk2 ? advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys (and gals)
i'm about to buy a used Audio Innovation 800 mark two, a beautiful piece of amp...but...
before i buy it i was to check the great wide net for info and a review, but really nothing..
whats your opinion regarding the soundquality, what modifications are realistic to do? or is it just a junky piece of metal?

Audio Innovations 800 MKII

If I remember correctly it's a power amp rated @ 20 watts per channel.
Depends on the price if it's worth buying it.
A friend of mine bought this amp about 15 years ago and he kept it untill he got himself a pair of power hungry Dynaudio Confidence's and a Bryston 4BST.
I still have in my office system an Audio Innovations 500 integrated, which produces 25 of the sexiest watts I have ever heard.
And if you decide to go for the 800, you can always turn to Peter Qvortrup in Audionote UK for technical advice (he was the designer and owner of Audio Innovations in UK).

Nickolas

Thanks Nickolas!
yes it's 25W/channel specified in A-mode, Pentod..?
rumours tell that it works best with Golden dragon tubes instead of the original Sovtek ones..
Time will show, i ordered it 10 mins. ago, i hope i will be satisfied.
thanks again for the information regarding the manufacturer :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The AI amps aren't bad at all even compared to modern day amps.

What I like about them is their simplicity, the circuits are often just an SRPP stage feeding a phase splitter driving a pair of output tubes.

You can toy with NFB and top quality components and the things just get better and better.

Let us know how they do in your system.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.