Tube amps.......AGAIN - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Brap is offline Brap  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube amps.......AGAIN

Really having a hard time with this decision. Have been steered towards lesser power amps now around the 15WPC range for my Klipsch horns (104sens), over my thoughts of Ella (2x40) or WAD (2x40)

For the last time --- I promise -- thoughts aon something in kit form around 15-20WPC?

Thanks again,

Brap
Old 21st January 2004, 09:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Brad,

You can drive the KHs with a one Watt amp to ear bleeding levels easily.

If it were me, I'd go for something like a DRD SE 45 amp built with nothing but the best passive components.

Tube rectifier, choke and poly cap filters and the best iron I can afford...

That would be a true killer amp.

Cheers,
Old 21st January 2004, 09:48 PM   #3
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I know I've told you before, but I'll try again

You do not need 15-20W. You may only need 1 or 2W...

A couple of years ago I also thought I needed a lot of power. Then my uncle gave me an old Philips tubeamp (AG9015) with about 2*10W output power. I soon found out it was possible to play at insanely loud levels with a 10W amp...

Later I started reading about SE amps. I didn't really think they could be anything special, with the not-so-great technical specs. So I didn't want to spend a lot of money on an SE amp. But then a friend of mine gave me a pair of 2A3 tubes. I found some transformers in my junkpile, and I built a test amp. And I was surprised - again. The amp put out about 2W of power, and I could still play very loud. The sound is better than any other amps I have had so far (yes I still use the same amp - now with Sovtek 2A3s). And I still don't have speakers that are as sensitive as yours - not at all...

So I would advice you to build a cheap/simple SE amp, just to try it out. Fred Nachbaur's "MiniBlok" could be a good choise - have a look here: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm

And if you need a kit, just send me some money, and I'll put the parts in a nice box for you

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 22nd January 2004, 12:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mikkel:

Yes, I understand and thanks for reminding me again -- keeping me on track. I will pursue a smaller amp(s) to drive the Khorns. I know I don't need that much and will keep it simpler. I will be switching speakers to my Forte's on occasion (96 sens) too.

So, withthis in mind, your recommendations please?

Regards
Old 22nd January 2004, 01:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Pardon me, you recommendations besides Fred's miniblok, Mikkel
Old 22nd January 2004, 01:44 AM   #6
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brap
Pardon me, you recommendations besides Fred's miniblok, Mikkel
I can't really recommend you something, since you wrote that you want a kit. I stopped building kits 15 years ago or so (but I make kits now - see my preamp thread ).

I build circuits from scratch (and design them also sometimes), so I don't know who makes the best kit. The Welborne amps look nice though - but I wouldn't buy an amp because of the looks...

I would look for something based on a 2A3, a 300B or the 45 that Frank recommended.

Here's my 2A3 amp: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/2A3.gif
But that's just a schematic and not a kit...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 22nd January 2004, 06:48 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brap
recommendations besides Fred's miniblok
The Decware Zen is a really nice little amp (about 2W) and comes as a fully documented kit with all the parts.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are a couple other variations if you want to spend more or less.

dave
Old 22nd January 2004, 04:07 PM   #8
gerd is offline gerd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default low power needed

Hello,

for minimum noise and hum use a low-power-amp.
For the sensivity of your speakers I would take a 1-tube-project like a single 6C45Pi-triode. On CD-player you will get around 1 watt and it sounds very clear.

Gerd

Hide this!Advertise here!