First build- dual mono octal linestage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2014, 02:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First build- dual mono octal linestage

Hello everyone. This is my first go at building a tube based preamp. I decided to go with the aikido and attemp a completely dual mono design with tubes for outputs and power supply.

My first idea was to have dual mono octal with a dual PS-4 power supply and separate transformers. I have been looking at the Janus shunt regulator as and option although it would not be a true separate system. I do not not know enough to decide what would be better or if I really need a dual power supply. One question I do have is about the shunt regulator being dependent on input voltage and could potentially vary in output voltage. Would this matter in a line stage? Would the Janus provide a lower noise floor?

Another question was if I go with the Janus would I benefit from a separate line and heater supply or is one with separate windings plenty. If I do end up going completely separate I am thinking a couple hammonds would do the trick.

Again i am totally new to buidling a preamp from scratch. I have spent a lot of time trying to read up but would appreciate any resources one might have to further my understanding. Thanks for the help
Old 16th November 2014, 02:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bump...

Any help? Main question is about getting a good power supply

Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 03:30 AM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstriker5 View Post
Bump...

Any help? Main question is about getting a good power supply

Thanks
Is this a line amp, or does it include a phono circuit? It might be interesting for you to try several types
of power supplies and see if there are audible differences.
Old 16th November 2014, 02:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This will he a line amp.

Was thinking the same thing about several power supplies. Thinking I can get the Janus pcb and could make the PS-4 power supply from the given schematic.

In the end it will be about just experimenting.

Any thoughts on a choke? Separate power supplies for the heater/output? Initially was thinking a separate supply for each channel but now I think just separating the heater output would be best
Old 16th November 2014, 04:37 PM   #5
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstriker5 View Post
This will he a line amp.
Was thinking the same thing about several power supplies.
If you have dual mono audio circuits, it'd be a shame not to go dual mono power supply.
Old 16th November 2014, 05:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Exactly what I was thinking would I benefit from dual transformers (1 for each power supply or just separate the line and heater voltage?)

The schematic for the PS-4 power supply seems pretty straightforward to wire point to point. That was th initial plan. Then I looked at that Janus shunt regulator and thought that would be better but wasn't to sure how to wire it up (specifically the tubes)

I guess I could get one Janus and use it as a template to do my P2P.

I'll post the schematics and maybe someone can help
Attached Images
File Type: png janus regulator.png (25.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: png glass-ware_2271_11390896.png (21.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by mjstriker5; 16th November 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!